The Agent Lover & Ashe Mischief Slumber Party:: Makeover Montage!

Being a girly girl (with some dude-like tendencies), the makeover montage has to be one of my favorite types of movie scenes. Usually consisting of a bespectacled bookworm turning into a hottie homecoming queen, the trick to success lies in the colorful sequence of makeup, hair and wardrobe chaos, as well as the perfect choice of song to accompany it. Now that you’re probably too scared to go to sleep due to Ashe’s list of scary movies, it’s time to sit back, relax and ease your mind with my Top Ten Makeover Movie Scenes! I’ll be right back though, gotta use the restroom. ::freezes all of your bras:::

Earth Girls Are Easy - I’ve talked about our favorite movie before, but this has one of the best beauty salon makeover scenes ever caught on film. The nails are did, the hair is bleached and and our favorite alien-loving, Olympic archer Geena Davis goes from Top Ramen mop top to California sunshine blonde. The makeover doesn’t last long, but the scene is a must watch!

Jawbreaker -  First of all, I know some of you have wondered “Why hasn’t Jawbreaker been meticulously examined on Agentlover.com yet? Was it not one of the most important 90′s teen movies ever?” Sorry my dudettes, it’s really only because I have a stolen bootleg Blockbuster VHS and keep forgetting to Netflix it. FYI I didn’t steal this tape, I think…ANYWAY I’ll have the full film up soon. But right now, let’s talk about Fern Mayo aka one of the best nerd names I have ever heard. This makeover is particularly impressive because it’s not a simple “get contacts and brush her hair”-type of makeover. She goes through a total transformation!

She’s Out of Control - Tony Danza’s geeky daughter played by Ami Dolenz, ditches her bottlecap glasses for a walk on the wild side of teenage life. Her post-makeover reveal is unforgettable. She practically floats down the stairs in slow motion to Frankie Avalon’s “Venus,” which basically is what happens every time yours truly walks down a flight of stairs as well. (o)(o)

Never Been Kissed – Drew B. plays a journalist who gets a second chance at being a teenager when she goes undercover at a high school. Still tormented by her awkward adolescence, she enters a cafeteria scene wearing white feathers, white jeans and an overdone hairdo. This movie gives me total nerd chills which means Drew did a great job as a queen of dorks. She ultimately finds her confidence and ends up in the arms of MR. MICHAEL VAUGHN FROM ALIAS! That scene where he kisses her and The Beach Boys’ “Don’t Worry Baby” starts playing? I think we all want that moment to happen in our own lives.

She’s All That - There was a time when Rachael Leigh Cook and Freddie Prinze Jr. were the late 90′s versions of Molly Ringwald and John Cusack…just kidding! THEY WISH. Whatta jerk, Marie. It’s ok, because we still gots love for them and long for those days. Luckily we have movies like She’s All That to remind us of Usher’s roots when he was a high school DJ who leads us all into an embarrassing synchronized dance scene.  Rachael’s character had one of those ~easy makeovers~ because all she did was chop her long weave into a bob and get contacts and a pushup bra. That’s actually the same makeover I had in the early 00′s except I got contacts, a Victoria’s Secret Very Sexy pushup bra and grew my Velma bob out. Sidenote: Paul Walker is in this (yes that is my second Fast and the Furious mention this week) as well as none other than Lil’ Kim!

The Devil Wears Prada - At first, I was going to include The Princess Diaries in this list but instead decided Anne Hathaway’s later, plain-Jane-to-pretty-lady movie was better since it’s all about FASH-UN. Anne’s character had an easy makeover as well. She just brushed her hair and was given a closet full of designer threads by Stanley Tucci’s character. HATECHU! Hmm..didn’t he essentially play the same role in Burlesque btw?

Mean Girls - Ah yes, Lohan’s swan song.  Her character was home-schooled in Africa then enters…public high school! Quelle Horror! She makes friends with the popular girls known as The Plastics and adopts their dress code which includes rules such as “Wear pink on Wednesdays and colored shoes on Mondays.” Imagine if people really had dress codes like that…convincing people to wear nothing but dresses, red lipstick, winged eyeliner and bangs…HOW RUDE.

Pretty Woman – Remember when thigh-high boots were the jam a year or two ago? Even Madonna and The Real Housewives wore them, but back in the days of Pretty Woman, those shoes would have never been caught near Rodeo Drive! Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts) goes from wayward hooker to classy lady with the help of Hector Elizondo and Richard Gere’s wallet. This has the best shopping revenge scene. Snobby store clerks are the worst! Don’t forget…”I say who, I say when, I say HOW MUCH!”

The House Bunny – I wasn’t sure if this was the right movie for me until I saw that scene where Anna Faris does that scary demon voice and said “LEMME WATCH DAT.” Shelley (Faris) gets kicked out of the Playboy Mansion so she becomes a sorority den mother in order to have a place to crash. But the sorority is FILLED WITH NERDS!! To help them attract more pledges, Shelley gives all the girls in the house a Playboy bunny makeover. I especially like Rumer Willis’ bedazzled body brace. Sidenote: Colin Hanks plays Shelley’s love interest. Roswell! Tapatio!

Clueless – Last but not least..we have the crème de la crème of makeover movies: CLUELESS! “Cher’s main thrill in life is a makeover , it gives her a sense of control in a world full of chaos.” With that manifesto, we can only expect a flawless makeover montage. Tai (RIP Brittany) goes from grunge to gorge when she is inducted into Cher and Dionne’s fashion-centric teenage world. I have so much to say about this movie. After all, I was fifteen when it came out! But we will go into deep discussion at a more appropriate time, mi amigas.

If you were in your own makeover montage, what would it look like? What song would be playing?

1 Poochie { 04.08.11 at 4:21 pm }

I love She’s All That but I have say that my true over-the-kneesock dreams came from She’s Out of Control. I’m probably too old for the look but I don’t care!

2 Ashe Mischief { 04.08.11 at 4:23 pm }

OH GIRLLLL. I’m glad you gave Princess Diaries a shoutout, because that was a DAMN GOOD MAKE-OVER. Her brush getting caught in her hair?! Getting tied to a chair with an Hermes scarf?! ROBERT SCHWARTZMAN.

I obsessed over that film in undergrad.

3 Mallory { 04.08.11 at 4:48 pm }

<3 <3 <3 Okay this list is officially making me sad my tv just died last night so I can't watch all of these movies I already own. Alas!!

4 Molly B { 04.08.11 at 5:20 pm }

hahaha this post is amazing. TAI!!!!! of course!!!! “that girl is so adorably clueless!”

please please please do a proper investigation into the social importance of Clueless to our generation. your colleagues await your wisdom.

also, i think i now know what me and my friend are gonna watch tonight for our rom com craft night (!!)

if I had my own MAKEOVER MONTAGE?!!!! this fantasy is too good to give any willynilly answer. i feel like i must film a video response.

5 Karlito { 04.08.11 at 5:47 pm }

omg, imagine me in red lipstick, winged eyeliner and bangs? (You’d better let me sit at your table!) Though for my makeover montage it’d be a cross between Frankenstein and the Werewolf’s. You know, you gotta keep that shit interesting especially under moonlight. So romantic!

6 marzipan { 04.08.11 at 6:10 pm }

ZOMG – I want to get in on this slumber party action! And watch every single one of these movies. right. this. second. I’m loving this new series. xoxo

7 Danielle { 04.08.11 at 6:10 pm }

YES, I knew Clueless had to be number one in this category. I was a bit obsessed with that “Supermodel” song for a while. I still love the whole soundtrack. That movie never gets old; I will watch it any time it’s on tv even though I have it (on VHS haha). Aw, Brittany Murphy. Loved that girl.

I like Geena Davis’ transformation scene in The Long Kiss Goodnight.

This isn’t really a makeover scene but I love it because it has all of the awesome fashion & makeup closeups of one, “Rainbow High” from Evita…

And how about Mrs. Doubtfire? Haha.

8 Rachael { 04.08.11 at 6:39 pm }

I’m more of a “put a spell on myself to the tunes of Teena Marie” ala Teen Witch kinda gal ;)

9 My New Favourite Thing { 04.09.11 at 1:39 am }

Yes, yes and yes. Amazing idea for a post. One of my favourite movie makeovers was Goldie Hawn’s character in Death Becomes Her. We never really saw a montage but it was still a good ‘un.

Olivia xx

10 yoshi { 04.09.11 at 8:18 am }

i love that i’ve seen allll of these movies… more than once bahahahaha!

11 Mary { 04.09.11 at 8:37 pm }

Fantastic post, loved this.

12 Clarity { 04.09.11 at 9:17 pm }

Lucky me ! Roswell was filmed in my town. How do you come up with these post ??!!

13 Michelle Renee { 04.10.11 at 9:20 pm }

Yes, She’s outta control was amazing! I started sewing white slutty clothes for my barbie with my singer handi stitch right after!

14 Lea { 04.11.11 at 1:10 pm }

Haha, the first one is great :D

15 Bren { 04.11.11 at 2:52 pm }

srsly the best blog post i’ve read in years.

16 Lola { 04.11.11 at 5:28 pm }

Where has this blog been all my life?!

Stumbled across this randomly after watching a double-bill of She’s All That AND Clueless last weekend. Great minds.
Haven’t seen a few of the others but with makeover scenes like that in store, I’m on the lookout.

P.S. How about the movie ‘But I’m a Cheerleader’ for another epic makeover scene (at the graduation at the end?)

17 Alisha { 04.12.11 at 4:24 am }

Omg I LOVED “She’s out of Control” when I was a kid!!!!!! I though that outfit with the white knee socks was so pretty.

18 final fashion » click click – 14-04-11 { 04.14.11 at 4:10 am }

[...] Top Ten Makeover Movie Scenes – slumber-party interlude! [...]

19 jesika { 04.18.11 at 7:45 pm }

my roommate has been begging me to watch ‘the house bunny’ and ive been very repulsed but…. you had me at “bedazzled body brace.” i MUST SEE THAT. plus rumer willis is so oddly kind of ugly-freaky-sexy.

20 Ashley { 04.26.11 at 8:26 am }

This list is NEARLY perfect! When I hear the word “makeover” I almost instantly flash to “She’s Out of Control,” “She’s All That,” and “Clueless!”

I say “NEARLY” because of one glaring omission: Sandy in “Grease!”

Top notch choices, though! =)

21 TheShoeGirl { 04.27.11 at 12:19 pm }

THIS IS THE BEST POST OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!! And this is why I love you. <3

22 cindee { 04.30.11 at 8:57 am }

Yes I remember watching the jawbreaker movie, i like how fern transform into violet, shes pretty, oh and I like your blog too. ;-)

23 Ginger { 05.07.11 at 2:38 pm }

Oooh ooh, don’t forget about Miss Congeniality!

Scruffy undercover cop Sandra Bullock must masquerade as a beauty queen! Awkward, hilarious, wonderful!!!

24 Miss Eliza Wharton { 05.11.11 at 7:19 am }

why on earth the mother of them all makeover scene, the one from Grease, is not #1 in this list and just comes up in the twentieth comment is wayyy beyond me.
am I getting old?

25 Tiffany { 05.13.11 at 12:56 am }

Can I just say how I obv preferred Vivian Ward pre-Gere. Blonde, boots, bangs.

26 Movie Review: Starcrossed With James Spader | missemmamm { 06.12.11 at 6:10 pm }

[...] if she looks this bad there has to be an awesome makeover montage coming up, right? Pre-Van Der Beek even mentions that he brought some clothes and makeup for her [...]

27 tiff { 06.21.11 at 6:58 pm }

Dude! One of the best movie-makeovers of all time was “The Princess Diary” with Anne Hathaway. The transformation was incredibly brilliant, drastic and totally unexpected because we didn’t really know Anne Hathaway back then. She was new.

It’s ok, I will still follow your blog though. Love your style.

28 Weekend links | Mystery Moor { 11.05.11 at 11:56 am }

[...] Marie lists her top 10 makeover scenes. [...]

29 Fashion’s Heretics | eurbanista { 03.04.12 at 8:45 pm }

[...] Before and after shots from “She’s All That” (via agentlover)  [...]

30 Noteworthy 4.15.11 @ That Blogger Gurl { 04.23.12 at 5:23 pm }

[...] Agent Lover & Ashe Mischief had a sleepover party. Go join the fun! [...]

31 Marna { 11.26.13 at 5:55 am }

Love the list but I think you are forgetting the best movie makeover of ALL time. Miss Congeniality.