Bruja Book Club: Role Models By John Waters

Besides the PLETHORA of erotic fiction and paranormal research, my book collection includes a ton of biographies. They also make up my current reading list, which are actually all autobiographies to be exact. I’m more than halfway through reading John Waters’ book, Role Models, which is basically me reading about the role models of one of my role models. My favorite chapter so far is the one on Rei Kawakubo, where Uncle John also has some wise words on thrifting and personal style. This quote by him is one of the greatest things I have ever read:

“You don’t need fashion designers when you are young. Have faith in your own bad taste. Buy the cheapest thing in your local thrift shop – the clothes that are freshly out of style with even the hippest people a few years older than you. Get on the fashion nerves of your peers, not your parents – that is the key to fashion leadership. Ill-fitting is always stylish. But be more creative – wear your clothes inside out, backward, upside down. Throw bleach in a load of colored laundry. Follow the exact opposite of the dry cleaning instructions inside the clothes that cost the most in your thrift shop. Don’t wear jewelry – stick Band-Aids on your wrists or make a necklace out of them. Wear Scotch tape on the side of your face like a bad face-lift attempt. Mismatch your shoes. Best yet, do as Mink Stole used to do: go to the thrift store the day after Halloween, when the children’s trick-or-treat costumes are on sale, buy one, and wear it as your uniform of defiance.”

LISTEN TO THE BRILLIANCE OF UNCLE JOHN-JOHN. He’s also going to be at UCLA in a couple of weeks doing a “one-man vaudeville act” and our favorite ladyboner intelli-hunk of all hunks, Matthew Gray Gubler is hosting. It’s sold out but I was able to score tickets last minute! Look for me in the balcony wearing something obnoxious and Divine-like (the yooj). Last time I saw him live was for his Christmas special in 2005 so I’m extra excited! If you are a fan of this genius among men, you will definitely like Role Models. And to take us into the weekend…here is an embarrassing picture from when I met Uncle John and drew a fake moustache on my finger so I could sneak ‘stache bomb him like the assholia I am. BUT, I was even more stu and brought a PURPLE SHARPIE so it didn’t show up that clearly on camera ::sad fart noise::

1 Rachael { 02.11.11 at 11:57 am }

I was trying to get tickets to that event ANY way I could and I am SOOOOOOOOOOO jealous you scored a seat! Uncle John is a personal favorite since my mom rented me Hairspray at age 11 <3

2 Tweets that mention Bruja Book Club: Role Models By John Waters — -- Topsy.com { 02.11.11 at 1:16 pm }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Marie Madeline, Maribel. Maribel said: RT @agentlover: Bruja Book Club: Role Models by Uncle John Waters http://www.agentlover.com/blog/2011/02/11/bruja-book-club-role-models- … [...]

3 Vagiunta { 02.11.11 at 1:40 pm }

Ugh, I was so bummed when I found out that I was gonna have a baby right before his UCLA show and would have to miss it. I did see him last year at CSUN, though, and got him to autograph my antique Kotex display box…and my fake chocolate donut.

4 Anna Nio { 02.11.11 at 3:37 pm }

All I saw was “John Waters” and “book” right next to each other, and after that there were just flimsy colors everywhere and a loud, throbbing noise drenching everything (even Supertramp who – WTF why? – were in my playlist). Total overload in my pop culture-soaked brain and bookworm-eaten heart! Please give him a little tushie squeeze from Sweden, for alas, I am much too short-armed to succeed at this on my own. Mucho jealous, but even more overjoyed for your sake, have a blast!

5 A rejoinder of sorts… | Which_is_Good { 02.12.11 at 4:22 am }

[...] thank Agent Lover for an extremely à propos inspiration this morning. Selected for us by Miss Lover, here’s [...]

6 Miss Eliza Wharton { 02.12.11 at 7:11 am }

Oh Marie, this post was SO inspiring I just had to literally PLUNDER it. It just perfectly hits the nail in a discussion we were having about what it takes to be an icon… If you have a few minutes, I would be HONORED by your visitation and we all would undoubtedly learn from your views, you being an icon yourself… I end here my base flattery, but please girl, come enlighten us!

7 TheShoeGirl { 02.12.11 at 12:24 pm }

Take me with you and I’ll be your SLAVE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I beg you!

8 Alex hearts you { 02.13.11 at 9:29 am }

Omg I just saw Cry Baby last night, loved the hell our of it. Are you still gonna make that V-day post on making swank valentines? A

9 Karlito { 02.13.11 at 2:11 pm }

My daddy boo right here. I just wish this book came out in my Sophomore year of high school. :/

10 jesika { 02.15.11 at 7:41 am }

me to my roommate as im reading this post: [tearful, high pitched freaking out voice] “my blogcrush is going to see john waters AND the host is matthew gray gubler!!! i kind of hate her!!”
roomie: [monotone lesbian] “you need to send her some anthrax in the mail or something.”
me: [shrieking and hiccuping with tears] “matthew gray gubler *had* anthrax on criminal minds!!!!!!” *cry*
in other words, i am so jealous. but i love you and i would never send you anthrax. have fun and post about it!!