Hoodrats Go To Tokyo!

I originally thought I would be live-blogging during my trip to Japan, but I was hardly in my hotel room and having way too much fun to even comprehend that I was indeed, in fucking TOKYO. The trip was planned in a major whirlwind: my friend Nate was going for work, flights were cheap around this time of year, so why the hell not? A flirty notion during a birthday dinner turned into a confirmed flight (um, only $474 round trip??) and das right SON, dis hoodrat and her putana-in-crime, Nate’s gf/my bff Emine’ (who does Cloven Hoof jewelry) , aka the Nisi to my Mickey (You can be Halle Berry because you are blonde Emi. THIS TIME) was about to put on some jet-setting chanclas and journey to the Land of the Rising Sun…

view from our hotel

(crazy view from our room!)

It was all a dream, we used to read FRUiTS Magazine…and now we were there. In TOKYO?! SAY WUT? Where Hello Kitty and sushi and karaoke and everything kawaii was born?? We stayed in Shibuya (SHI-BOO-YA!) Unfortunately I didn’t have time to create a customized gold foil headpiece spelling out “Shhh..BOO-YA!” to pay tribute to this (0:33 thank you)… but there’s always tomorrow.

Here I am on the streets of Shibuya wearing a special Burrart airbrushed shirt of ME. Since I have red hair right now, it wasn’t too much of an asshole move because you couldn’t recognize it was me immediately..or does that make it EVEN MORE OF ONE? Anyway, I love the shirt so much. Pictures do NOT do it justice (not just saying that because it ME again I SWEAR) Have you gotten anything done yet by Diane btw?? If you do PLEASE send me a pic! I’d love to see what magic she makes for you!

1st Tokyo Remix

• glasses – Metropark
  • one mansion-sized gold doorknocker earring (the other one was hurtin’!)
  • customized airbrushed shirt – Burrart Design
  • skirt – American Apparel
  • denim jacket – Converse
  • bag- Betsey Johnson
  • black moccasin booties – $5 at a local shop!

One of the places we visited was the Ghibli Museum (My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away) Sadly pictures were not allowed inside but I did snap a pic next to this giant robot!

Laputa Robot

When we were leaving, we noticed a large map of Inokashira Park where Ghibli was located… ARE THOSE SWAN BOATS I SPY??!!

IMG_3720

The wheels in my head started turning as I thought: finally… I can recreate one of my favorite pictures of Bjork laying upon a pink swan…BEAUT!!

pink swan

We walked up to the dock, paid 700 yen and were greeted by two menz.. then when I realized we had to pedal?!?  the swan boats… ourselves?!? the look on my face was apparently priceless, according to Emi. SCOOS ME for thinking this was going to be a romantic gondola type of situation!! (Guess I didn’t look at that map quite clearly.) Slapstick naturally ensued after a big cartoon-voiced “GULP” and beads of sweat formed on my brow. “We can’t swim! What if we fall out!” My Secret Vanilla Chai deodorant was hard at work due to thinking we were going to be swallowed alive by giant koi fish and after pedaling in two large circles we made our way back to civilization.

AHH! THE SLAPSTICK LIFE!! Well. It was beautiful!

water scene

Koi Fish

IMG_3694

IMG_3651

IMG_3654

Stay tuned for lots more about my Tokyo trip!

1 Em { 07.15.09 at 3:42 am }

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! There are no words.

2 Jaka Merriman { 07.15.09 at 4:00 am }

Beautimous! Much love for the pics and ‘grats for not giving into the internets while you were away!

3 fromhere { 07.15.09 at 4:51 am }

Actually when you get off the yamanote, the voice-over at the platform goes shibuYA, shibuYA. I’ve been listening to that for over 3 years and it never gets old.

4 Beth { 07.15.09 at 4:55 am }

Nice Tokyo outfit! Glad yr back, though, wanted to see the pics. Welcome back!

5 marie { 07.15.09 at 7:38 am }

@Em – seriously…I’m so shocked I am able to even form words and blog about it!!

@Jaka- I’m such an internet addict and it was weird not to have my iphone with me all the time but that’s when you know you are having a REALLY GOOD TIME- when you’re never inside to log on!

@fromhere- hahaha aww how lucky you are to live there! I loved it SO MUCH!!

@Beth – thank you Beth!!!

6 gina marr { 07.15.09 at 7:41 am }

ZOMG i love this a million times. i have always wanted to go to tokyo, japan anywhere really. so brootiful

7 marie { 07.15.09 at 7:44 am }

@gina ..you would LOVE IT. It’s so hard to explain why I’m so crazy about it. People are rad, everything is cute and odd and just totally different than any place I’ve ever been! I really think you would enjoy it as much as I did!

8 Crystal { 07.15.09 at 11:38 am }

This is the most random thing to say about a wonderful trip it seems to Tokyo…but I have that same Betsey bag in blue!

9 gilda { 07.15.09 at 12:14 pm }

woohoooooo!!! i’m so glad you went to ghibli!!! did you know about ghibli movies? but even if you didn’t, wasn’t it fucking amazzzzzzzzzzzing with a super big ZING??

10 Tiffany { 07.15.09 at 5:16 pm }

Wait a minute… VANILLA CHAI SECRET?

Tokyo is cool, too, but dang.

11 alex* { 07.21.09 at 9:45 pm }

This is AMAZING.
I am so loving your blog.
You are adorable and hilarious…..
I too have used Vanilla Chai Secret but I felt like I was smearing a candle under my arm. Should I rethink this??? Hmmm.

Lerve you lady. OH, and for the record the first time I read “fat love friday,” my thought was also “OOoooooh no she dint!!!” I am sure she meant well, but girlie I don’t know a single woman who wants to be labeled the F word. And that’s the truth ruth.
xoxo