That Chick Julie, She’s Truly Dazzling

tonight

The Cinespia movie screenings at Hollywood Forever Cemetery are one of the best things to do in L.A. during the summer. You can picnic underneath the stars and among the dead while watching your favorite silver screen gems and cult classics projected on a mausoleum wall. This past weekend, they showed one of my favorites, Valley Girl, a movie from the eighties about the forbidden teen romance between Hollywood bad-boy Randy [played by Nicolas Cage] and his Valley Girl love interest Julie. It’s got that usual tale of opposites attract, much like your secret favorite movie High School Musical.

Valley Girl was one of those movies that would come on television all the time after Saturday morning cartoons, causing you to remember every single line for years and into your twenties, when you would frantically search for it in the $5 bins at Walmart. Who can blame you? Nic Cage’s chest hair in that movie is seriously majestic. It kind of resembles the Danzig skull, actually. Doesn’t it !? Let me know.

Who the F would sleep with a clown like that?

blol

Julie’s preppy bitch friends, including my favorite on the right, Loryn the slutty one, played by E.G. Daily, who was actually at the showing and still looking gorgeous. I am so jealous of her hair here.

Slumber parties are one of my favorite types of scenes in movies. Yes I am twelve years old.

The Modern English “Melt With You” romance montage. Has there ever been another falling-in-love montage as great as this one!? I don’t think so.

P.S. F U M&Ms and even moreso, disgusting cheese-glue Taco Bell for ruining my “Melt With You”/ Valley Girl song association! That really burns my biscuits you know.

I love it when Randy won’t take no for an answer and starts putting out the extreme stalk. Ladies, do you find Randy’s stalking creepy or sweet? When does that line get crossed? And if it was the other way around do you think the girl would automatically be labeled a psycho? Frankly, I think these Romeos could get away with more back in the eighties, and these days Randy would get a mace in the face trying to hop into her morning carpool like that.

“Is the movie in 3D?” “No, but you’re face is!!

There’s no denying the soundtrack is one of the best made in the history of cinema. So now we must talk about Josie (fucking) Cotton who is on the soundtrack and who also has a cameo during the prom scene finale.

Josie Cotton in Valley Girl

Sometimes there are people who are just so awesome, you can add “fucking” as their honorary middle name. JOSIE FUCKING COTTON ! She has my favorite outfit out of the whole movie: a bright blue top with vinyl mini skirt depicting a motor racetrack on it!

With her big, teased hair and blue eyeshadow, she looks like a rock n’ roll Elizabeth Taylor. Josie’s famous for one of the best songs from the movie “Johnny Are You Queer?” Can you imagine some teen movie having that song in it nowadays? Impossible! The eighties ruled as far as that goes.

Josie fucking Cotton – “Johnny Are You Queer?”

Josie fucking Cotton – “He Could Be the One”

Bonnie Hayes with The Wild Combo – “Girls Like Me”

Modern English – “Melt With You”

Truly Dazzling.

1 Tote Board Brad { 07.15.08 at 7:50 am }

I was thinking Josie had a touch of liza minelli to her look, but since you mention it, yeah, she’s got liz taylor written all over her.

irl, i find that dudes can often wear a girl down with a stalkerish approach. this guys tactics are too much for all but the most insecure girls. stalker lite works better irl, but still not with anyone with above average self esteem.

sadly, i think teen guys do take their cues from pop media sometimes, and in the 80s girls probably had to endure plenty of stalking. i guess that’s better than the influence left from Rhett’s conjugal rape of scarlett in gone with the wind.

2 Pants { 07.15.08 at 7:59 am }

I LOVE Valley Girl! I also love the picture of Julie sleeping with that fucking horrific clown. YIKES!

How incredibly cool they show movies at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Super jealous.

3 the slackmistress { 07.15.08 at 9:50 am }

Stalking was the 80′s way of getting the girl!

And I used to see Josie 3-4 times a week at my job and she looks pretty much exactly the same. And is awesome incarnate. And would sing along when I would belt “Josie you are here!” to “Johnny are you queer?”

Ima dork.

4 Shaun { 07.15.08 at 5:18 pm }

AHHHH! The scary clown doll! I would not want to snuggle up to that doll, only to awake seeing it’s totally frightening face every morning!

I’ve never heard of chest hair being referred to as “majestic.” That is definitely a first! We can call him the “Majestic Eagle,” because the shape of his chest hair looks like the shape of an eagle to me!

Truly dazzling.

5 marie { 07.15.08 at 10:52 pm }

@brad – the sleeping on the lawn bit was a bit much but i like how he was working at every place they went to. Only in 80′s movies and Bollywood films do you see that kind of dedicated stalk!

@Pants – the clown reminds me of poltergeist 2. I am just waiting for it to come alive and kill her.

The cemetery screenings are so fun!!

@slack- Holy shit!! Man she sounds so rad. Usually the response would be a roll of the eye in that sort of scenario.

@shauns- majestic is my new slang. where did it come from? [referencing our recent conversation - see how i did that?]

6 trexcellent { 07.17.08 at 2:24 pm }

you know, love, one of the most surreal months i have ever had in l.a. involved spending two days at josie cotton’s house & bonding – followed by a late night party with david faustino & corin nemec.

josie cotton has great style for sure, but she is also a rad woman. i love her.

7 marie { 07.18.08 at 10:06 pm }

T-rex! Now that is one adventure I wish I could have been a spectator at! I hope the CASTLE brings us some surreal times… CORIN NEMEC man. Fucking loved Parker Lewis. I am synchronizing my swatch in jealousy…

8 vinyl_mike { 12.17.08 at 10:44 pm }

oh yeah, I totally remember watching this over and over on HBO back in the day…it had it all: Romeo and Juliet themes, cross cultural acecptance… AND teenage sex!

But yeah, as a boot wearing, big belt buckle guy amidst a LOT of preppies, I identified with Randy.

And didn’t his freind wind up as either “Bill” or “Ted”, having an excellent adventure or two?

9 natalie { 02.10.10 at 1:20 pm }

i actually bought this in the 5 dollar bin at wal mart based on the cover.

was not disappointed!