My Obsession With Red Shoes

There were a couple of things I would constantly sneak off to look at in the back room patio when I was a kid. The first was a chocolate lollipop titty my mom kept in the mini-fridge for seven years. It was sloppily half-wrapped in foil due to my frequent showings to friends during family parties. We would giggle at the chocolate tit until one year there was a mysterious bite in it.

The second thing I would always look at was a hardcover book of Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales, particularly the story of The Red Shoes. If you are not familiar with the story, it is about a poor little girl who wore a pair of fancy red shoes to church, which was scandalous to do so. During mass all she did was think about her sexy red shoes. Gawd then got pissed off and made those red shoes become all voodoo Riverdance. The shoes wouldn’t come off and she breakdanced all over the village until she couldn’t take it anymore and begged an executioner to chop off her feet with a big axe.

This story is so twisted, I do not even know why my eight-year old ass would read it all the time. Did you guys know I was REALLY shy during that age? Anyway, it obviously gave me a red shoe obsession because I have acquired about ten pairs over the years.

Red is one of my favorite colors and I wear it on my lips and clothes, collect red handbags, sleep underneath a red comforter and write on a red desk, but red shoes specifically remind me of being a kid and reading that book all the time.

Does anybody else have some crazy nostalgic-fueled obsession with a clothing item? Please don’t tell me I’m the only one!

1 pepper { 05.07.08 at 3:27 pm }

i think you’re well familiar with my strange obsession with fruits and fruit related clothing.

2 RetroBunny { 05.07.08 at 4:04 pm }

Actually, I was thinking about my strange obsession with gadgets and gizmos today, which is not completely apparel related…but it is an accessory!
I adore phones that snap together, like the LG enV. I think it dates back to my whole Sailor Moon phase, which had Sailor Mercury sporting a cool mini clamshell computer.
Anything to do with Marie-Antoinette makes me flip. I thought she was so cool when I was young, despite her tragic end. (This whole love is perpetuated in the design of my tattoo!)
Oh, and I adore the chic rocker style of The Cranberries’ lead singer. I was so obsessed over her when I was a kid, I used to sing into our car speakers so I could sound like her.

P.S. Love your blog.

3 marie { 05.08.08 at 11:26 am }

yes pep! But I can’t recall if we talked about where that stemmed???

Retrobunny- Hello there!! OMG I want to see this tattoo of yours! I love Marie Antoinette. My name is Marie and she was actually executed on my birthday, if that’s not weird I don’t know what is.

Thank you so much!!!!

4 RetroBunny { 05.08.08 at 2:37 pm }

P.S. I really like those little stars (are they stars?) on your ankle. They look really cool through the fishnet tights!

5 RetroBunny { 05.08.08 at 2:41 pm }

That’s so flippin’ amazing! I’m lime green with envy ;3!
Since the link wouldn’t work on a comment, click my name. It’s my flickr picture of my tattoo.
I may add on to it in a few years, but for now, as a 17 year old, I think it works pretty well!
(P.S. Aesthetically, it was inspired by our infamous Marie Antoinette, but has more meaning that just that. ;3)

6 marie { 05.09.08 at 10:49 am }

That tattoo is adorable! I LOVE fleur-de-lis and thought about getting it tattooed on me someday. Nice!

7 Marshall { 05.09.08 at 1:10 pm }

High tops. I’m a sucker for high tops. I’ve worn them to funerals and weddings.

8 Agent Lover » Obsess With Me - Unicorn Heels { 05.28.09 at 12:34 pm }

[...] gold unicorn heels, I can’t stop thinking about them. I feel like the crazy little girl in The Red Shoes, dreaming about them morning, noon, and night. They remind me of the shoes my god Bjork wore to the [...]

9 jesika { 12.31.10 at 5:41 am }

it soothes my soul to know you love and collect red shoes… i bought these cute red satin shoes with woven-straw covered wedges when i used to work at FASHION BUG and my fucking cuntypie coworker literally said “UGH” to me as i was buying them. i was like “WUT WANNA GO” and she was just like “ugh… red…” what the fuck?? now whenever i get a compliment on them im all indignantly like “thank you! some bitch hated them!” i had a similar situation with leopard print shoes too, and some bitch told me “leopard print will never look classy.” W T F you know thats not tru!!
jesika recently posted…O Christmas Boil!My Profile