Ooh That Was My Jam: G.L.O.W. Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling

In the mid-eighties, us baby hoodrats enjoyed watching a lil’ bit of professional wrestling from time to time. Well…that’s if you had older brothers who forced you to. But really, who wouldn’t want to put down their Cabbage Patch doll for a few minutes to witness Hulk Hogan, Andre The Giant, and Randy Savage body-slam each other during Wrestlemania??? Still, there was something missing for us little ladies. We needed some girl power in that ring.  The wrestling gods answered us in 1986, when G.L.O.W., short for the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, came along.

G.L.O.W. was an all-female professional wrestling show co-founded* by Jackie Stallone. Das right….Sly Stallone’s momma. BTW, did you know Jackie was also an astrologer who practiced “rumpology” a term she invented that describes a practice similar to palmistry, except you can tell someone’s future by reading their butt?? I wish I knew about rumpology when I was visiting psychics for this Rookie article. Also according to Wikipedia, “During her youth, Stallone was a trapeze artist in a circus and a chorus girl in a nightclub. She was also a hairdresser.” UMM…ok, let me get out my clipboard and list Jackie’s talents: Rumpologist, matriarch of G.L.O.W., AND she can swing from trapeze while doing hair? Hold the phone, are we obsessed with Jackie Stallone now? HELLO WHAT A RESUME! Anyway I digress…

All of the G.L.O.W. girls had their own flashy personas, complete with politically-incorrect nicknames that would probably not be able to fly these days, as well as their very own rap song. They were split up in two groups – the Good Girls and the Bad Girls. Each episode included cheesy skits along with the matches. It was all big glittery hair, crazy names, neon outfits and glamorous VIOLENCE! OH YES I LOVED IT.

At some point, I found a Best of G.L.O.W. DVD on Netflix and basically kept it for five months (as I do) then was SHOCKED when my friend Tiffany texted me that she was at a screening for a documentary about the show and her dude’s aunt was one of the wrestlers!!! After a quick Goog, I found out it was for G.L.O.W. the Movie which was created by some fans of the show. Watch this trailer:

I CANNOT WAIT TO WATCH IT. Looks like they have a Kickstarter that ends this Monday! So if you’re a fan, donate to the cause to help them with their post-production and distribution costs and get some goodies too!

Some of the names were so good. Babe The Farmer’s Daughter. Brunhilda. The Heavy Metal Sisters: Spike and Chainsaw. GREMLINA!!!!! You know I die for that one. One of my favorites was “Hollywood.”

I wanted that pink glittery streak in my hair so bad.

NEED THAT SHIRT AHHHHH

Did any of you watch G.L.O.W. or am I alone in this one again??

EDIT: RED ALERT RED ALERT: Bradford, one of the dudes who created the documentary just told me that Jackie was NOT a co-founder but brought on as a manager to the Good Girls. Thanks for clearing that up Bradford and giving me a reason to sneak this picture in. Really into that font too btw.

1 Joe { 06.29.12 at 5:19 pm }

Girl you know I was obsessed w/ G.L.O.W. My 2 female cousins and I would pretend we were the wrestlers, and somewhere I even have a tape of us singing the theme song and matches!
Joe recently posted…MikailaMy Profile

2 Shawna { 06.29.12 at 5:56 pm }

It’s all about the rapping!

3 The Hipster Mom { 06.29.12 at 6:30 pm }

I LOVED G.L.O.W!! I used to watch when I was a kid in SF on Saturday afternoons. I loved Hollywood & Vine. Yes and ditto on the glitter streak in the hair.

4 melissa { 06.29.12 at 6:32 pm }

I’m too young for this but I just went on a YouTube crawl and WTF. What is the target audience for this?! kids? dudes? does not compute!!
The giantess girl (headhunter? idk) had some sweet gold monkey earrings in a clip i saw, though. Also my fav aspect is the intro scene with the RIVIERA. so decrepit.
Totally gonna watch the doc.
melissa recently posted…Route 1/9My Profile

5 Gaby { 06.30.12 at 12:23 am }

Oh my goodness how amazing. I’ve never heard of them, but wow, thanks for the introduction!
Gaby recently posted…Friday Night Movie NightMy Profile

6 Stephanie Leibowitz { 06.30.12 at 12:35 am }

Holee shit. What a perfect remedy to a long and tedious workday you are; just got home, checked the internet, and here we go. My boyfriend is obsessed with professional wrestling in all of its forms(writes a comic about it too that kills) and we often watch best of the 80′s wwf, but I’m always a little bummed that the ladies are so scarce and when they’re there they were managers or someone’s old lady. OR A CRAZY BITCH. I can’t wait to spend time watching this now. I bet BF will love it too. YOU FUCKIN RULE
Stephanie Leibowitz recently posted…What I’m talking about when I talk about wanting yellow…My Profile

7 claire { 06.30.12 at 9:20 am }

I want that pink glittery streak in my hair now!

8 diana { 06.30.12 at 5:04 pm }

My grandma didn’t speak any English and was the most Catholic grandma everrrr but she made my cousin and I watched this while she knit. RIP Grandma watching GLOW!!
diana recently posted…On Finding Yourself…30,000 ft in the airMy Profile

9 Raquel { 07.02.12 at 12:41 am }

Oh no homegirl, you are def not alone!!! GLOW was/is the bees knees!! I was glued to the T.V. every Saturday. Do you remember when Susie Spirit broke her arm in a tag team match and the looped that part about 50X!! It was gross but I could look away..lol. My faves were Mt. Fiji, Americana, Debbie Debutante and even some of the bad girls- Spanish Red, Hollywood & Vine and Matilda the Hun. That show was the epitome of pure 80′s cheesiness but that’s what makes it so freaking great!! Damn, I wish the Riviera in Las Vegas still had matches there!!

10 Freya { 07.02.12 at 12:20 pm }

W.o.w. How did I never know about this!? Thanks for making me spend my entire day catching up on GLOW videos on YouTube. No really, thank you, Marie. :)
Freya recently posted…Flash Fiction Friday: In Search of GiantsMy Profile

11 Patrick Weseman { 07.03.12 at 8:00 am }

Cool. Thanks for the memories. I used to watch this all the time in my high school days. Very nice

12 The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling | Ask Dr. Ding { 07.03.12 at 6:43 pm }

[...] to this hawesome blog post by Agent Lover, I have now become an official donor to this project – GLOW: The Story of the [...]

13 Shawn { 08.06.13 at 3:23 pm }

For Raquel: Yes– I do remember… Incidentally, I actually went to college (Queens College, CUNY) with Steve Blance (the referee) in the late 1970s (and still can’t believe that he got the gig in the first place (instead of Evan Ginzburg– THE Evan Ginzburg — http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Ginzburg, who was also a contemporary of ours at Queens College and would have written far better scripts for GLOW– you realize that even GLOW had scripts– don’t you?)