Milkmaid Braids and Pretty Collars

♥ Thrifted dress, We Love Colors knee socks, shoes from UrbanogRococo Nouveau “Madeline” Collarette, hair clip from Cutie Dynamite

When you are a Low Maintenance Girl That Looks High Maintenance like myself (more on that later) you have to try some new things once in awhile, even though they will annoyingly cause your beauty routine to require more time. I thought this outfit called for a hairstyle that was opposite of my usual cascading 70′s Cher locks (plus it was hot out and I didn’t want to put it in a lazy ponytail) so I decided to finally try what The Others call “Heidi braids” or “Milkmaid braids.” Of course I had my hesitations. Could I, Marie Madeline Lodi, with my natural Pocahontas-like weave pull off a hairstyle that is more  commonly seen adorning the crowns of delicate girltypes such as those found in the pages of Lula? I really wasn’t sold on the idea, but once I came across photos of my two favorites Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz wearing them, I felt I was given the green light. So I lit a candle, prepared my tresses and imagined Javier Bardem guiding my hands braid after braid. After a surprisingly quick effort, I reached SUCCESS!

I look so innocent and freckly here, don’t I? I’m going to practice so the hair tie is better hidden next time. The cute plaid clip is from Cutie Dynamite!

The amazing collar is from Rococo Nouveau, my friend Kristen’s line of collarettes! This one is called the “Madeline” so naturally I love it even more! Keep your eyes peeled for an upcoming interview and giveaway from Rococo Nouveau!

I’m also wearing a new shade of red lipstick here! This one is Besame’s “Red Hot.” I usually only fux with MAC and Chanel but I want to branch out and experience some new reds. This one gets my TWO THUMBS UP.

Next time I will attempt to finally conquer Madonna’s Blonde Ambition ponytail. ARE YOU READY!?!? I’m going to have to prepare even more for that one, like soak my hair in virgin tears and play “Express Yourself” backwards.

1 Aurora { 06.30.11 at 9:03 am }

Girl, I effing love this! The braids, the socks, the sexette lips. Ugh!

P.S. Cutting my banggame today! In the bathroom with “I can see for miles” playing.

2 melissa { 06.30.11 at 9:11 am }

HAHAHA you are too much! love the braids. i’ve tried many times myself and it just doesn’t work. my hair is too thick and wavy. i could flat iron it first but i’m too lazy lol. but now you’re making me wanna try it again! i want white thin lula hair so bad! LOL! love it on you though. you look super cute (as always!!) :)

3 x Corrine/Frock & Roll x { 06.30.11 at 9:18 am }

Well HELLO! You look a-m-a-z-i-n-g! (What a frock!)

4 Mary Van Note { 06.30.11 at 9:28 am }

You’re making me wish my hair was long again! The braids look SO good on you and that outfit is PERFECTION. I love the Madeline collar.

5 Tammy Faye { 06.30.11 at 10:30 am }

Such a cute outfit, that collarette takes the dress to a whole nutha level. Hair is adorable too!
Btw the last line of this entry cracked me UP gurl, shoo

6 Danielle { 06.30.11 at 11:47 am }

You look super cute! You look good with any hairstyle. Love the collarette.

7 Eli { 06.30.11 at 12:38 pm }

Marie this is so hot on you!! Love love love! I’ve been rocking these braids too but nowhere near as cool looking as yours do!

8 Twinkie Chan { 07.01.11 at 4:26 am }

ADORABLE!!!

9 CC { 07.02.11 at 2:24 am }

U look so kawaii!!! I’ve started rocking the heidi braids too of late and it was so easy I don’t know why I didn’t do it earlier, plus awesome to have hotness off your neck. Speakin on hotness, I must reply to your LA related email. Thanks!! xoxox

10 melina bee { 07.02.11 at 7:44 am }

aw, you look so great. I’ve always wanted to try milkmaid braids but my hair’s never been long enough (and I can’t french braid really). Your hair isn’t really a weave is it? totally love that dress, too.

11 Ms. Smart { 07.03.11 at 11:57 am }

love the collars. getting one. :) look at me I’m fancy.

there are three things you need in life – water, toilet paper and red lipstick!!!

12 La Marbles { 07.05.11 at 10:52 am }

I cannot wait for the blonde ambition ponytail. A bustier is a must with that.

13 Scarlet Red Week – Tuesday « We Love Colors Style Blog { 07.19.11 at 9:02 am }

[...] Marie of Agent Lover [...]

14 Jesika { 07.28.11 at 1:49 pm }

You look so beautiful and precious! the braids really work. with the sunlight streaming in, you look like an innocent fraulein!

15 Dial V for Vintage { 08.09.11 at 1:48 am }

Oh my, that dress is a dream! *sigh*