Getaway Girl Style: True Romance

True Romance

It’s been a while since we did a Getaway Girl-style post and what would be a better comeback than True Romance, one of the best action-romance films that has ever been made! Comic book nerd Clarence (Christian Slater!) meets hooker with a heart of gold Alabama (Patricia Arquette) and they fall madly in love while getting caught up in some major Bonnie and Clyde-style drama. After Clarence kills her pimp, played by Gary Oldman in white people dreads, they embark on a road trip to LA with a suitcase of stolen cocaine. Soon after, the star-crossed lovers are chased by both the feds and the mob, but are so hot for each other they basically remain in makeout mode in between all the gunshot fire! I think I speak for many of us when I say underneath this jaded and blackened heart, there is still a dreamy look in my eyes and a longing for a crazy Clarence and Alabama type of romance. A comic book shop clerk/ film buff/ thugaboo like Clarence is my dream man HALLO! LET US SING.

True Romance

Bringing a lady to a comic shop in the middle of the night: ultimate move of seduction.

True Romance

Does anyone else feel like Gary Oldman was like a wigga version of Snagglepuss in this movie? So glad he was killed off early with those white people dreadlocks! UGH! (NO OFFENSE.)

True Romance

I am so horn for an ensemble cast you guys. Everyone is here! Christopher Walken, Dennis Hopper, Brad Pitt as a STONER,  Tom Sizemore, James Gandolfini (pre-Sopranos era), Michael Rappaport, Bronson Pinchot aka BALKI BARTOKOMOUS! It was written by Tarantino and directed by Tony Scott. I want to ask Patricia Arquette how it was being the only woman on set with all those MENZ.

True Romance

OF COURSE WE GONNA TALK ABOUT HOW STYLIN’ ALABAMA IS!!!

True Romance

I love Alabama Worley so much it hurts! Lots of red and turquoise, animal print everything, cowboy boots, off-the-shoulder blouses, showin’ off them lacy bras. She even keeps those sunglasses on during a major shootout! How chic! I want to dress like her every day of my life!

photo_lrg

True Romance

Also note this chick’s sunglasses…

Even their car is hot!

True Romance,

1 Crissy { 02.24.11 at 2:26 pm }

“like a wigga version of Snagglepuss”…dude, are you reading my mind or what? It’s been my life pursuit to compare people to Snagglepuss.
Crissy recently posted…Morch In the SnowMy Profile

2 Brandy { 02.25.11 at 7:26 am }

OMG. I loved the styles in this movie! Her wardrobe was fun!
Brandy recently posted…Coookie! Also- it’s hard to just walk by unattendedMy Profile

3 Ashe Mischief { 02.25.11 at 8:40 am }

It’s 90s Wild at Heart PARD DEUX.

4 marie { 02.25.11 at 8:28 pm }

Hahaha thank gawd!!! I thought it might be too weird for anyone to understand but it’s really the first thing I noticed when I watched it again after all this time! I was also hesitant to say wigga because it’s so weird and outdated to say but figured it was okay since it IS a 90′s movie!

5 marie { 02.25.11 at 8:30 pm }

The bras are the best! I want that turquoise one so bad!

6 marie { 02.25.11 at 8:35 pm }

OMG haven’t seen that in a long time eitha!

7 Monique Catalina { 02.26.11 at 3:56 pm }

You forgot Val Kilmer as Elvis!!!

Monique Catalina recently posted…PhotoMy Profile

8 melina bee { 02.27.11 at 1:45 pm }

do create all the screenshots that you use in your reviews? the images are always so good and illustrative. I think P. Arquette has such an innocent, sweet face especially the way her hair flips out. I love her smile.
also, as an individual living in Eugene, Oregon, I’d be curious to hear you elaborate on your opinion of white people dreads (neither pro nor con, just surrounded by many is all)
melina bee recently posted…obsessive outfit of lateMy Profile

9 Amy Lee { 03.02.11 at 11:04 am }

This is a totally awesome flick and great post on it! I love your screenshots! Perfect :)

It’s one of my all time faves too… they were totally bad and totally hot for each other. I love the scene were Alabama kicks butt in the hotel room! I remember thinking she was gonna get hurt but she just kept on fightin’.

I think I need to go shoppin’ for a few pairs of sunglasses and Leopard print faux fur! LOL
Amy Lee recently posted…Wishcasting Wednesday- What limits do you wish to setMy Profile

10 polly { 03.05.11 at 7:14 pm }

Every single movie you post about I absolutely adore and your posts are so fun to read. I also love the Snagglepuss comparison, and wigga is the only world for it. Can we also please just take a second to marvel at Gary Oldman? I mean, Lord! The man disappears into every. single. role. I am constantly surprised when alerted to some character he played where I totally didn’t recognize him. And all that mess in this one was his idea! According to imdb, the eye, the hair, the teeth — he just did that on his own. Crazy.

11 Torey { 04.07.11 at 10:43 am }

I am trying to find a pair of cowboy boots like Alabama’s for my “True Romance” themed wedding. Does anyone have any idea where I could find a pair? Thanks!

12 Ian { 05.09.11 at 8:34 pm }

Every time I watch this movie I’m obsessed with how blind they both become to the world. All that matters to either of them is each other. Yeah their world is falling down around them, but they barely notice in the throws of love!
Ian recently posted…How to Tie a Bow Tie Vol- 3My Profile

13 Danielle { 06.03.11 at 8:04 pm }

I love this movie! I saw it randomly about a year ago. Patricia Arquette is adorable already but I LOVED her as Alabama! Her style is Tacky-Fabulous. I honestly didn’t realize that was Gary Oldman…and that makes me sad, his character was painful.