Punky Power

punky1

♥ thrifted sweater//I Heart Ronson skirt//Target tights//Jeffrey Campbell shoes//knit bow brooch and hairbow from Pygmy Hippo ♥

I bought this sweater during my thrift tour in Palm Springs last month because I never saw anything like it… a half sweatshirt/half knit (HALFBREED) mutant. I figured I could wear it with some leggings for casual days, until recently, when I threw it in my bag with some random things I figured MIGHT work in a weird way. What would it matter if I looked like a box of crayons come to life? But once I added the accessories I knew I was on some sort of legit Punky Brewster tip…then later realized I wasn’t just repping Punky…I was a full fledged CHICKLET!!!!!

The Chicklets

The Chicklets
lookit dat high heel earrin’

If you remember this very special episode from Punky Brewster, Punky and Cherie get jumped into a girl gang called The Chicklets and are pressured to do drugs!!! Luckily Punky and Cherie are smart cookies and JUST SAY NO to The Chicklets lace-gloved offerings of marijuana and assorted pills. The episode kicked off the show’s participation in a nationwide anti-drug campaign led by Nancy Reagan (who makes an excellent macaroni and cheese if you recall.)

The Chicklets

Punky Brewster was the best dressed character from my childhood. Perhaps even one of my first style icons! Her clothing consisted of bright colors, a vest, striped socks, assorted pins and a bandanna tied around her leg. Her style was Rainbow Brite meets The Warriors.

punkyb

This episode was the creepiest one ever..it STILL scares me!!!

Does anyone also remember the Punky Brewster Saturday morning cartoon with the leprechaun GLOMER??

1 melina bee { 01.12.11 at 8:36 am }

I love outfits that look like crayola sponsors you, those shoes are so good. I only vaguely remember punky brewster and so didn’t see this episode. the blue laced glove offering smoke is pretty hilarious. I’ll bet someone could diy those shoe earrings pretty easy with some barbie accessories.
is that a nameplate you’re wearing?

2 @Vudu { 01.12.11 at 8:43 am }

I looked a LOT like her when I was a kid. I even had the mismatched sneakers.

Soleil @moonfrye is on twitter, if you didn’t know.

3 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:02 am }

Yes! My fave gold nameplate necklace! Was a b-day gift a few years ago! The lace glove holding the joint is my fave pic of 2011 so far!!!

4 yoshi { 01.12.11 at 9:43 am }

GAH! i can’t believe you found that creepy episode!!! i remember it was like a “to be continued” segment that they broke out in 2 right??? remember when punky’s bff got locked in a refrigerator outside in their courtyard???

5 corazones rojos { 01.12.11 at 9:53 am }

Oh, I remember this episode. So good.

I only wished I had known where that screen cap was from last night when you posted it on FB and claimed you’d f anyone who knew what it was!

6 Ellie Di { 01.12.11 at 10:08 am }

Just say no! To that sweater. :P

7 andrea { 01.12.11 at 12:56 pm }

One of my first style icons too. This post is going straight to my weekend links this week!

8 Eli { 01.12.11 at 7:22 pm }

Oh dear lord this is so hilarious (the Punky reference). We used to have a pair of Punky Brewster sneakers that were worn by myolder sister and handed down to me, they were like reebok or la gear knockoffs? I swear I used to love watching this show but only somehow remember the episode where the friend gets stuck in the fridge!! was it her friend Cherri? she was also on Family Matters as Lauras friend :)

9 Crissy { 01.12.11 at 8:01 pm }

Oh, shit! Glomer! Yes, I do remember!

10 jesi { 01.12.11 at 10:07 pm }

dude, where were these superfly well dressed girls with lace gloves and drugs when i was in 6th grade??? can you imagine what life would be like if i started being as cool as i am now when i was like 11? yeah… i guess id probably be in rehab. seriously what kind of 11 year old does “nose candy” (other than snorting pixie stix)?