From The Vault Of Teen Marie: Hackers

HACKERS

Continuing our exploration of the movies that were on constant rotation in my VCR during my teen years, we will now be talking about Hackers! Don’t be frontin’ like this movie never made you want to be a computer hacker in the 90′s with a cool handle like “Acid Burn”, a Jolt cola addiction, cargo pants with reflective straps and a bright yellow pager to boot! I mean I STILL want to be that! HAND ME A PAIR OF ROLLERBLADES AND LEMME HACK DAT GIBSON. Anyway for those of you who haven’t yet seen this masterpiece, it’s about a group of high school computer hackers who uncover a corporation’s evil plans so they put their skills together to fight back! It stars a young Angelina Jolie back in the days before she became the Brangelina you are bored of now. I fell in love with her back then because she was rebellious, had intense whore eyes and was probably into weird shit (my favorite combination.) Do I dare tell you about the time I gave an informative lecture on her in speech class? I totally brought my copy of Gia to show a clip and everyone was like WTF YER WEIRD but I didn’t care, my love for her was for real for real. If that doesn’t sound too scary, will you be grossed out that I collected every Angie magazine cover up until her time in Girl, Interrupted?! Anyway, enough about me and my stalker days, let’s talk about this movie. The main character is Dade Murphy aka “Zero Cool” aka “Crash Override” aka Jonny Lee Miller IRL aka Angelina’s first husband. He is the new kid in town but secretly an ELITE HACKER who crashed over 1500 computers in one day at the age of eleven and was banned from comps until he turned eighteen…WHAT A WIZ. (God I loved this movie)

HACKERS

IMPORTANT! There was a particular accessory that Angelina Jolie’s character (Kate Libby aka Acid Burn) wore throughout the whole film that I HAD TO HAVE. It was her silver, full finger armor ring. I wanted that thing SO BAD. I remember it cost $100 at Hot Topic and my boyfriend at the time heard my fashion prayers and bought it for me. When those rings became trendy again a few years ago I almost wanted to get one again to relive my KATE LIBBY OBSESHIA. I will take the Viv Westwood version though!

HACKERS

I swear that ring was like the sixth member of their crew. It was prominent in every scene!

HACKERS

I miss Renoly Santiago! He was also in Dangerous Minds if my memory is correct. I also miss those glamorous cat shirts.

Love you Jonny Lee Miller YOU ARE TOO FINE

HACKERS

Now I want to talk about Matthew Lillard’s shirts. Mmm The Clash pero JUAT the HALE is that one above? Is it Jesus’ hand reaching out to an orphan on shirt? I wanna know. (if so do you think it worked as a subliminal message to Angie?)

SO MANY STRAPS AND CARGO PANTS

MISS EWE

LOVE EWE

1 Tara { 01.04.11 at 12:43 am }

I am ashamed to admit I have never seen this masterpiece. I will have to get on it, if only to view that awesome armour ring.

2 mizeka { 01.04.11 at 1:08 am }

Omg, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Hackers! Finally someone appreciating it, too ;) Love your blog btw! Greetings from Hungary!

3 jesika { 01.04.11 at 7:20 am }

matthew lillard <3 underappriciated genius! i was in love with him in scream [in fact in love with scream in general... slutty rose mcgowan, hello!]
oh baby angelina… i loved her in foxfire & gia! dykealicious! + foxfire had her real life gf, jenny shimizu, mm! [angelina youre kind of a hussy]

4 anka { 01.04.11 at 8:57 am }

you have faultless sense of what’s cool:) i love hackers!

5 melis { 01.04.11 at 10:11 am }

hackers is a classic!!! totally was obsessed with young angelina too!!! and johnny too, of course :-)

6 Dinah { 01.04.11 at 12:34 pm }

OMG the day Hackers came out on DVD was like the best day ever. I had lost my VHS copy and had missed it so much. Also, can we talk about the soundtrack? LOVE.

MMM Johnny. It’s all about that scene where he’s dreaming that Angelina busts into his room and you see her bewb for like a split second.

I’m sad Johnny Lee’s hairline is waaaay reseeding tho. :/

7 Tweets that mention From The Vault Of Teen Marie: Hackers — -- Topsy.com { 01.04.11 at 2:46 pm }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Amber Osborne, thatgirlallie. thatgirlallie said: @Missdistructo this reminded me of you http://ht.ly/3yjhb (the ring!) [...]

8 Ashe Mischief { 01.04.11 at 4:06 pm }

Don’t forget MATTCHEW LILLARRRD>

I had such a huge ladyboner for the boys in this film. UGH.

“I fell in love with her back then because she was rebellious, had intense whore eyes and was probably into weird shit (my favorite combination.) ”

YESSS. It was either this film or that Foxfire one that made me want to lust on le Jolie for life.

I wanted nothing more than to be a haxx0r when I was 15. Ugh ugh.

(Seriously, I think you & I spent the 90s watching the same films at the same time LIKE COSMIC LOVE VOODOO.)

9 Ashe Mischief { 01.04.11 at 4:06 pm }

Ughhhhh…. SCREAM.

That film revitalized my love of horror movies singlehandedly. Rose was so hot in it. And I horn for every dude in that film.

EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.

10 vanessa { 01.04.11 at 4:42 pm }

I love, love, love hackers!!!

I spotted one of the elite hacker twins in the sex and the city movie, I gasped and almost spilled my milk duds.

I still can’t get over matthew lillard’s fetus face.

11 Nandi { 01.05.11 at 12:41 pm }

THIS WAS/IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE.
i love you more than ever for this wonderful blast from the past.

12 Kelli { 01.08.11 at 4:07 pm }

This movie was my #1 style inspiration when I was 14. I even bought the cutest little baby tee with “CYBERGIRL” written across the chest. I was the coolest girl in the BBS chatroom.

But you overlooked one crucial element that I didn’t even notice until your post inspired me to watch the movie again.

MARC FREAKIN’ ANTHONY as a Secret Service agent.

13 Karlito { 01.09.11 at 12:19 am }

Shizz, it’s been so long since I’ve seen this flick! and even then I was mainly only watching Angelina. *sigh*

14 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:08 am }

Best ever!!!!

15 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:09 am }

HAHAHAHAHA YES!!!! I always thought he looked like a wet rat in this movie!!

16 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:20 am }

YAY!!!!! :)

17 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:23 am }

It’s SOOOO 90′s but SOOOO good.

18 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:23 am }

Oh wow Hungary!! How cool! Thanks for commenting!!

19 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:24 am }

FOXFIRE SO GOOD!! Had all the babes in it. I thnk I’ll rent that one soon!

20 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:25 am }

I keep imagining what would it be like if they made a current version of this movie. wish Hackers dressed like this IRL now hehe

21 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:25 am }

I need to see him on Dexter! STILL BEHIND

22 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:26 am }

I’m so mad that she had perfect boobs back then. JEALOUS!!!! yes the soundtrack was amazing, I still have it!

23 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:26 am }

I tell you… we are bros eating pizza watching t&a movies in another dimension!!!

24 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:27 am }

WAIT A MINUTE. I think I remember that in SATC2!

25 Danielle { 06.03.11 at 8:14 pm }

Renoly was also in Con Air, he was my favorite character other than Poe.