Menu
Artheart / Eye Candy / Movies / Pop Culture

From The Vault Of Teen Marie: Nowhere

5262396427_59deca1084.jpg

Nowhere

By now I hope we have all come to terms with the reality that this blog is basically a front for a personal catalogue of every movie that has been important to me at some point in my life, like a very intimate Netflix queue. When I write these screencap-based posts for you, I almost feel like we are at our very own slumber party. And when I get up to put in a new VHS, you put my bra in the freezer and stick a whoopee cushion underneath my booty. YOU JERKS. Anyway, we are going to leave the 80’s film obsesh for a bit and delve deep into a time when the art of thrifting was in its prime…when our cups runneth over with Orbitz and most importantly…when I had a spikey butch hairdo. Yes that’s right my friends, we are now exploring the cinema that influenced my teenage years aka the mid-to-late ’90’s era.

Nowhere

Nowhere was the final installment from director Gregg Araki’s “Teenage Apocalypse Trilogy.” It followed The Doom Generation which I wrote about here, and before that, The Living End. Nowadays you might know him from Mysterious Skin (which I can only watch ONCE in my life) and Smiley Face...which I haven’t seen but have been advised not to. Most people either loved or hated Gregg Araki movies. I obviously loved them back then. They were weird as fuck and filled with graphic sex and violence, but there was even more for me to love! Everything from the wardrobe, the actors he chose, the colorful sets and demented sight gags were all things that spoke to teen Marie!

Nowhere

Nowhere took us through a day in the life of a group of hopeless L.A. teenagers who care for nothing much more than sex, drugs and partying. At the center of this is a boy named Dark (James Duval aka the bunny from Donnie Darko) who wants monogamy from his polyamorous girlfriend (played by Rachel True from The Craft – yes that one is coming too) yet is exploring his own infatuation for a boy named Montgomery (who has one blue eye and one brown eye which I remember thinking was SO HOT BACK THEN and still do)

Nowhere

Araki always made sure to have the bedrooms in his movies make a statement. Outfits matching wallpaper always brings a smile to my face.

Nowhere

Friends climbing in through windows was soooo 90’s!!! I think the last time I saw that was with Joey Potter in Dawson’s Creek. MISS EWE

Nowhere

The cameos in this movie are THE BEST. We have Rose McGowan (who was also in The Doom Generation), Traci Lords, and none other than Shannen Doherty as three Valley Girls who get zapped by an alien! HOW PERFECT IS THIS TRIFECTA.

Nowhere

Debi Mazar and Jeremy “The Right Kind of Love” Jordan have a very erotic yet disturbing scene. Can I confess to you something my brothers and sisters? In high school, I borrowed a Jeremy Jordan cd from one of my friend’s and listened to it for one month straight. EVERY DAY!! The month before was The Chronic by Dr. Dre AND the month after was Mariah Carey’s Daydream. WTF? Honestly this is no different than today. My obsessive music listening has been going on for too many years. I was really embarrassed about that though.

Nowhere

Christina Applegate is SO AWKWARD in this! I love it.

Nowhere

I was so in love with Ryan Phillippe during this time.

Nowhere

Even Mrs. Garrett shows up!

Nowhere

Also loved this random scene with Devon Odessa (the bff who Angela ditched for Rayanne in My So-Called Life) and Staci Keanan (from My Two Dads and Step By Step.)

Nowhere.

Sometimes I wonder how much of the aesthetic of Nowhere rubbed off on me. Sadly, the movie is not available on DVD in the U.S. so we can’t even Netflix it! HOWEVER…I did watch all of it on youtube! Enjoy…or hate it. Let me know!

14 Comments

• mary
    December 15, 2010 at 10:32 am

AGHH! This movie looks amazing!!!

• Ashe Mischief
    December 15, 2010 at 10:57 am

I’m pretty sure that somehow, in the 90s, we were on opposite sides of the country WATCHING THE SAME MOVIES.

I loved this film in high school. Looking back on it now, I’m like, DAMN look at that cast.

• Ashe Mischief
    December 15, 2010 at 10:58 am

ps–The Doom Generation is on Netflix! On Instant Watch even!

• Crissy
    December 15, 2010 at 11:34 am

Ah, Greg A-tacky. I used to love him so much. I watched his films again a few years ago and couldn’t stand them. But, the cameos and the rooms that belong in a pop art museum are ingenious. Jason Simmons…wtf! I had always wanted to punch him in the face and never thought he was a good actor until, well, that one scene.

Anyhoo, I’m hoping you’ll do a post about Party Girl.

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Marie Madeline, Miss Wojtyla. Miss Wojtyla said: Nowhere http://www.agentlover.com/blog/2010/12/15/from-the-vault-of-teen-marie-nowhere/ […]

• Ellie Di
    December 15, 2010 at 11:48 am

I’ve never even HEARD of these movies or this director, which is clearly an oversight in my film education. Damn, girl, lookit those bedrooms! (Also, Orbitz was awful shit and I still drank it)

• corazones rojos
    December 15, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Goddamn, why isn’t it available on Netflix?! I’m a watch it on Youtoobs. Thanks, girl!

• Jolene Frances
    December 15, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I love this movie so much!! & I had no idea that Gregg Araki did “Smiley Face.” I’ve never seen it, but I’ve been randomly hearing about it a lot lately 😮

• Eline
    December 17, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Haha, I watched this because I saw this recommended on tumblr and only after I’d watched and snapshotted some stills myself I clicked this link and I swear I made pretty much the exact same stills! This movie was great, I am glad someone was moved enough to post this to tumblr and that it drove me to see it myself.

• Bzzz!
    December 17, 2010 at 6:37 pm

This is my favorite movie,greg araki is amazinggg! really one of the greatest directors ever Oooh and smiley face was fucking hilarious!

• Minnie
    December 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I’ve never seen Araki’s other movies, but I do recommend Smiley Face. I’m not sure why you’ve been warned against it but I enjoyed it (with some herbal accompaniment 😉 )

• Jennifer JenEyePher Strauss
    December 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Did you ever watch Splendor from Gregg Araki? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127296/ If you haven’t, definitely worth checking out from him! I have all of his movies on VHS . yeah – I said VHS. Smiley Face was a big no-no for me.

• marie
      December 29, 2010 at 12:48 pm

YES! Splendor is my favorite even though it’s the least weird. I want to write about it on here too but I too only have it on VHS!

• Chad