80′s Glam Icons: Goldie Hawn In Overboard

Overboard

Goldie Hawn is one of the MOST SUPREME GODDESSES of all time!! Especially in the movie Overboard . It is about a rich SUPLADA (new Tagalog word I learned from my mom meaning SNOB) who falls off her cruise ship and develops amnesia. A sexy carpenter (played by Goldie’s real life mangs Kurt Russell) who she stiffed earlier by not paying for a badass shoe closet then seeks revenge by making her believe she is his baby momma.

Since Goldie’s character aka Joanna Stayton spends most of the movie believing she is the average Annie, the glam outfits are few and far between, but even though they are minimal they leave a lasting impression on my fashion boner.

Overboard

I don’t care if embellished shoulders came and went in two twists of a smurf’s nipple…they will forever put a sparkle in my eye when I watch Overboard.

Overboard

If certain ~popstars of today~ wore these outfits, everyone would be all OMG LOOK AT THAT WOW SO WILD pero this was just typical resortwear in the glamourous life of Mrs. Joanna Stayton.

’87 was a good year.

Overboard

Probably the best screencap of my screencapping life so far

Overboard

However, the highest level of 80′s excess in this film goes to Joanna’s mother, played by Katherine Helmond aka Mona from Who’s the Boss? !!!

A flash forward sequence of me in 30 years

Overboard

Here is the aforementioned badass closet that Kurt’s character makes for her. You must watch it in motion.

Overboard

PLE DEW NETFLIX OVERBOARD IMMEDIATELY. Nothing beats going to sleep to images of 80′s Kurt Russell dancing in your head…

Overboard

PS. Wouldn’t Rory and I make a PERFECT bloggers remake of Overboard?? I THINK SO

1 The Maiden Metallurgist { 07.08.10 at 12:07 pm }

Overboard is the most underrated movie! My husband and I watch it every time it’s on- even with commercials!

Lurve the hats!

2 Crystal { 07.08.10 at 12:25 pm }

I’ve seen Overboard like 427498 times. Loves it! It’s crazy how much her daughter looks like her.

3 Sarah { 07.08.10 at 12:34 pm }

Love Overboard! That’s my inspiration for when I’m old – sequins, feathers, rhinestones, animal print and fur from head to toe!

4 Fajr | Stylish Thought { 07.08.10 at 1:25 pm }

That’s a bad bitch! Not to mention Kurt & Goldie have the purrfect relationship!

5 Anastasia { 07.09.10 at 2:17 am }

One of my most favourite movies as a kid! partly because of the clothes (sequins galore!), partly the amazing rotating wardrobe, and partly because of that awesome mini golf place which Australia has never seen the likes of.

Goldie… gotta love her.

6 CIRCUS PROJECT » Blog Archive » Click it – Or Don’t { 07.09.10 at 8:26 am }

[...] many fashion bloggers are still hanging on to the 80s glam trends, some going so far as to praise Goldie Hawn’s fashion choices in the famous film, Overboard. 80s film stars may no longer be on “Who What [...]

7 CIRCUS bookazine — — Archive » Click it – Or Don’t { 07.27.10 at 8:53 am }

[...] many fashion bloggers are still hanging on to the 80s glam trends, some going so far as to praise Goldie Hawn’s fashion choices in the famous film, Overboard. 80′s film stars may no longer be on “Who [...]

8 monquito { 08.25.10 at 4:19 pm }

I just realized – and think maybe you should consider doing this one – Goldie’s character in Overboard reminds me of a grown-up version of Kelly Preston’s character in Secret Admirer. Oh how I love both movies!

9 Deena { 10.28.10 at 8:05 am }

I LOVE that film. My favourite line- “I almost had to wait.” I say this whenever I’m trying to get my nieces and nephews to do things immediately and while the joke is completely lost on them but it cracks me up every time.

10 Lee { 01.08.11 at 10:49 am }

Did Goldie Hawn have a hair problem that required her to wear a wig for this movie?????

11 Goldie-fied | Ramshackle Glam { 11.06.13 at 2:03 pm }

[…] just love her (particularly in the Overboard era), and especially love the fact that she clearly dresses exactly how she wants to dress, with only […]