The Runaways Movie

runaways_AL

I’ve been waiting to see The Runaways movie since I love the band especially some of dat Joan Jett. Like many of us, I was apprehensive because of the casting choices: Kristen Stewart (BELLA) and Dakota Fanning. Honestly…I was mostly worried about Bella’s mullet. Weren’t you this whole time? Anyway, I actually liked the movie! Bella made a pretty decent Joan Jett. She put on her butch hat and made good use of her scowls in this film. However when I look at the real Joan Jett my lesbo-meter goes OOC. She makes me want to jump from a 2 to a 6 on the K Scale if you know what I mean. She has what we call “WHORE EYES.” That super sexy, alluring, come-bone-me stare. And no matter how much black eyeliner she cakes on and cigarette smoke wafts through the air, Bella does not have “WHORE EYES”. When I look at Joan Jett, penises are long gone from my mind. Like a forgotten memory or an extinct creature. A penis is basically a dodo bird when I look at Joan Jett*.  GAH!!

joanjettbella

Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie just didn’t do it for me. It’s just too soon in the game to turn her into a lingerie-wearing, stage-squatting tart. I still think of Uptown Girls when I see her. Come back in a few years and we’ll tawk. :-( SAWRE DAKOTA. That’s just how I feel. 70′s child star Tatum O’Neal as her mom though, NICE TOUCH THERE.

cheriecurries

I loved the costuming though. Hello 70′s fashion! There is a scene where Cherie comes out on stage to lip-synch some Bowie and she’s wearing glittery gold platforms but I couldn’t find a screencap of it.

The Runaways

runawaysfashion

runawaysfashion3

runawaysfashion2

runawaysfashion4

Basically if you are a NON-hardcore Runaways fan, dig the 70′s, and like rock n’ roll chicks then you’ll probably enjoy it. And the ‘sex scene’ between Bella and Dakota? SICK!!! It was really PG and didn’t show anything but I have never felt more dirty AND heterosexual watching that in my life. BORING! Unlike HEAVENLY CREATURES

Joan’s WHORE EYES STARING AT ME

The Runaways – Cherry Bomb
The Runaways – C’mon
Joan Jett – Crimson and Clover

*Editors note I take that back menz, I was just playin’! Don’t fret my pets…

1 gea* { 03.23.10 at 9:46 am }

Whore Eyes! I love it. Hahhahaha

2 little melinda { 03.23.10 at 12:29 pm }

I haven’t seen this film yet, but you aren’t the only one to have that reaction to Dakota. NPR’s David Edelstein didn’t like the movie much but made an interesting comment:

“This is Fanning’s movie, and you can taste her relish in breaking out of child-stardom with a vengeance. But as she parades around onstage half-naked, chanting that she’s a cherry bomb and striking one sexualized pose after another, you’re uncomfortably aware that she’s 15 years old and legally a minor. How we reconcile that fact — or can’t — with the thrill of her performance gives The Runaways at least some of the present-tense electricity that the real group had onstage so long ago.”

We grew up with that hyper-psycho-sexuality. It’s so hard to shock us so they taint our pretty, little, baby child! Whatever…she got whore eyes, too. Scary.

3 clarity { 03.23.10 at 2:44 pm }

Been a fan of the Runaways for a bit. Haven’t seen the movie but would love to. I have to say that Dakota is good for this role because Cherie is supposed to be some what innocent but sexed up. A lot of people don’t get that its a contradiction on purpose.

4 marie { 03.23.10 at 2:51 pm }

I know Cherie was an innocent fifteen-year old when she joined. It’s Dakota in the role that I didn’t enjoy. Even without her still in my mind as that brat on Uptown Girls, when you hear Cherie FUCKING WAIL on Cherry Bomb you forget that she is just a baby leading a gang of badass rocker chicks onstage. It was hard for me to believe it when she was portrayed by Dakota.

5 melissa { 03.24.10 at 3:13 pm }

hmmm…someone was supposed to go with me to see this and her name starts with the letter M! tha’s okay though. i’m broke right now but i heard that dakota like apologized to her fans in regards to the lesbo make-out/sex scene cause i guess that’s very unDakota of her to do. whatever dude. it’s a movie. don’t apologize for what a character would do. you’re basically apologizing for being an actor. she has a lot of growing up to do.

6 marie { 03.24.10 at 5:56 pm }

Aw Mel I’m sorry! I couldn’t wait!! I was so excited to see it!! Well I know Dakota is trying to break out of that role. I feel bad for her being pigeonholed but I still wanted someone different..maybe someone UNKNOWN! SORRY DAKOTA

7 Rachael { 03.31.10 at 10:28 pm }

I’ll rent it when it comes to Netflix. I go a li’l lesbian for Pat Benatar, Annie Lennox and Lady GaGa. ;)