90′s Chick Rock Mix

90schickrockwithsomeHUNKS

I know what you’re thinking. DOTH MINE EYES DECEIVE ME? Is this crazy B really take us back to a time when ball chain necklaces were our favorite accessory (ew) and Skeet Ulrich ruled our ladyboner!?? Put on your slips and Docs betches, ’cause youz about to get hit with a blast from the past! This mix (first for the year!) is all about female-fronted rock bands or chick singers, focusing on the mid to late nineties when precious Rie Rie was in high skoo. My style during this era was… a TASTE OF EVERYTHING! Much similar to now! GIMME A TASTE! Standouts included: black rubber bracelets, 69 baby clips , TOOTHBRUSH bracelets (DISGUST THAT BETTER NEVER COME BACK), plaid grandpa pants, slips (got sent home from school once) kid size thrift store tees, lunchboxes as purses (Should I show you guys my collection sometime?) while channeling slutty Drew Barrymore (best Drew B era), Fairuza Balk, Janeane in Reality Bites, a little bit of Clueless Cher, Shirley Manson, a dosage of Gwennabe and Ethan Embry in Empire Records. Yes I had his outfit. That was back in the day when I wore pants.

You guys, that was the best thrifting time of our lives.  Sorry to anyone that missed it.

Download: 90′s CHICK ROCK MEGAMIX!

YOU ARE WELCOME.

gang

1 Ashe Mischief { 01.21.10 at 5:16 pm }

OMG Orbitz drinks. I wish you hadn’t reminded me of those. OBSESSEEDDD.

2 leah { 01.21.10 at 5:17 pm }

Such good songs…I have them all already except for the 4NonBlondes song. You and I would totally have been friends back then!

3 The Friendinator { 01.21.10 at 5:18 pm }

Oddly enough, I was just wearing my docs yesterday…

Great comp! Gonna DL tonight! Thanks Agent Lover, for fill our hearts and ears with great music!

4 Ashleah { 01.21.10 at 5:25 pm }

Wow that sounds like my high school soundtrack!! I hope No Doubt decide to tour Australia

Empire Records is a favourite, Robin Tunney looked awesome with a shaved head & was also in the Craft

5 desboobs { 01.21.10 at 5:40 pm }

DOWNLOADED UNF LOVE YOU!

6 ninetwelvetwentyfive { 01.21.10 at 5:49 pm }

oh my, this is just fanbloodytastic. love love love every track .. such memories! thank you xox

7 Joslyn { 01.21.10 at 6:03 pm }

AWESOME! I still listen to 1/2 of these songs. And I owned more than 1 pair of thrifted grandpa pants.

8 chiaroscuro { 01.21.10 at 8:44 pm }

yessssssssssssssssss

9 Teresa DiVicenzo { 01.21.10 at 9:14 pm }

Lush followed by Liz Phair? Perfection!

10 Val { 01.21.10 at 9:19 pm }

You are damn right about it being the best thrifting time of our lives! I definitely did the docs, the slips. the plaid poly pants, the homemade Bikini Kill and Huggy Bear t-shirts. I used to thrift THE BEST chunky granny-made cardigans back in the the 90′s! Thanks for the awesome memories! xo

11 jesika { 01.21.10 at 11:35 pm }

oh sister… i dont need to tell you how awesome this is. i must make my own mix. the 90s lives forever in my heart, and i think of robin tunney in empire records every time i shave my head (and i hum that “so freeeee… for the moment” song to myself as i do it). i still rock combat boots (wore em under my graduation gown), baby barettes and my rosie the riveter lunchbox purse that i got in SEATTLE is still kicking around here somewhere. 90s never die!!

12 The Naked Redhead { 01.22.10 at 6:07 am }

GOOD GOD, such flashbacks on this dreary Friday morning. Thrifting was AMAZING in the 90′s…best grandpa sweaters, old 70′s cords, pleather coats and prairie dresses. And, seriously, to this day, I love girl rock like I love no other. Sigh…”Spin the Bottle”, yes, I miss you.

13 melissa { 01.22.10 at 9:05 am }

omg! you hit every single 90′s trend on the nail! i was a total ball chain necklace wearing, thrift shopping, plaid pants wearing, black rubber bracelet loving, grampa sweater wearin’, doc lovin’ girl! but what the hale is a toothbrush bracelet??? god even the lunchbox as purses trend! and baby barrets!! i tried that one but my hair is too thick :( LOVE THE TRACK! GREAT JOB AS ALWAYS M’LADY!! ah memories..:D

14 corazones rojos { 01.22.10 at 2:03 pm }

I feel like you’re inside my head sometimes. This post totally describes me in jr high/high school.

15 C { 01.22.10 at 3:50 pm }

You are awesome. I just had so many Gr 9 flash backs reading that track list. I’m putting on my docs and my ball and chain necklace and having a 90′s dance party tonight.

16 little melinda { 01.22.10 at 4:51 pm }

my dad got me tickets to the Lilith Fair for my 14th birthday. That is where I purchased my most beloved multi-colored, corduroy patch-work mini skirt. I think I can stop there. but seriously…this shit is so nostalgic.

17 Annie Dangerpaws { 01.22.10 at 5:01 pm }

How do you do the things you do, Marie? BRILL. And you even kept it lady-style.
I broke my wrist in 1998 and they had to cut off my black rubber bracelets. SO BUMMED!

18 Steve Sparshott { 01.23.10 at 5:03 pm }

Best thrifting time is right, I spent the decade in charity-shop-everything, plus a pair of trainers that cost twice as much as everything else put together.

It pleases me greatly that I own more than half of these tracks.

19 Crystal { 01.23.10 at 5:43 pm }

I seriously almost have tears in my eyes right now!! About to download, burn to disc and drive home singing at the top of my lungs!!

20 Kate { 01.23.10 at 5:55 pm }

I think I still get a ladyboner for Skeet…

I recently found my GIANT, rainbow ball chain necklace. It was so rad in 1998.
Being an Aussie, I tended to style myself after Silverchair’s Daniel Johns, along with the aforementioned Ethan Embry.

Good times. Thanks for the download, great mix!

21 Tonia { 01.24.10 at 5:09 am }

I ran across your blog, you are funny azz hell! A must read. Don’t you just love the 80s?

22 body loving blogosphere 01.24.10 { 01.24.10 at 5:17 am }

[...] I ♥ Agent Lover. She is adorable and wacky and has great style. And this week she has a great post up about long-lost (but so ALIVE in my heart) 90’s chick rock. [...]

23 mikkie { 01.24.10 at 10:41 am }

Thank you so much for that! Flashback all the way. Makes me wonder, where have all the great rock chicks gone? And where the hell are new ones?

24 Sundae 1/24/10 { 01.24.10 at 11:44 am }

[...] Agent Lover 90s Chick Rock Mix – Free mix by Agent Lover. Heavy on the chick and light on the grrl, but awesome nonetheless. This has inspired me to make a 90s Chick Hip Hop mix. [...]

25 Liz { 01.26.10 at 3:44 pm }

Those Docs are sexual.
Actually, just this whole post. I’d like to make out with it, providing my butterfly clips don’t get snagged in it’s hair.
Seww embarrassing.

LOVE

26 marybeth { 01.26.10 at 5:17 pm }

Thank you so much for this! I own a good amount but not nearly all of these tracks. This reminds me the 90s-ist concert I ever went to: Veruca Salt, Marcy Playground, and Cake!
The only thing that disappoints is the lack of Throwing Muses! I don’t understand the world’s indifference towards Ms. Donnelly’s step-sister and other band.

27 Mace Elaine { 01.26.10 at 11:08 pm }

I just got back my Docs from my sister, who’s had them for the last 10 years, and man, are they beat up. They lasted through my punk and post-punk phases, and even though they barely fit anymore, I can’t seem to get rid of them. I might have to drag them out for this weekend, if nothing else to give them one last go-round.

AWESOME MIX, MARIE.

28 jesika { 01.28.10 at 9:21 pm }

@Crystal – MMMM daniel johns! i still dig him!

29 Vintage Vivant { 02.01.10 at 3:02 pm }

I woke up with 4 Non Blondes in my head yesterday and had to listen to “What’s Up” right away. Thank you for this!

30 Evolving { 02.12.10 at 8:29 am }

OMG. I thank you for this. Was craving some nineties chick rock and you totally did all the leg work. HEART!

31 Chel Vudú { 02.12.10 at 4:57 pm }

This post seriously made me tingle all over.

32 Twinkie Chan! { 04.12.10 at 3:05 am }

Holy shitballz!! I have been reading your blog for the last hour.

It is this entry which told me for sure that I loved you.

33 carol { 01.05.11 at 12:41 pm }

you’re awesomely brilliant to the nth degree. keep up the time travels.

34 marie { 01.12.11 at 9:20 am }

Thank you Carol!! Hoping nobody gets sick of it!! xx

35 body loving blogosphere 01.24.10 | medicinal marzipan { 01.13.11 at 3:02 pm }

[...] I ♥ Agent Lover. She is adorable and wacky and has great style. And this week she has a great post up about long-lost (but so ALIVE in my heart) 90′s chick rock. [...]

36 Maribel { 01.29.11 at 1:19 pm }

omgawd! you’re like the big sister i wish my real life big sister was like!!! lolz

37 marie { 02.01.11 at 4:40 pm }

aw what a sweet comment! Thanks Maribel !