Christmas Is Creepy

Santas_Village_Gingerbread_House

I was writing my Gingerbread House Party post when I came across these old photos from the long gone Santa’s Village theme parks in California (that I would see the commercial for on television all the time but never got to go to. :( Why mom and dad, why?! MEAN

santa's village

First I found this set of photos quite endearing and cute!

santa's village

Doll shop

Then I pulled out my magnifying glass (which I keep in arm’s reach ’cause you just never know what you may stumble upon) and found some frightening things in these pictures..FOR INSTANCE:

Santa's_Village

GAH!! Ugh so weird!

And look at this, how sweet!

Santa's_Village

But then look at this photo! That bunny’s evil glare…

Santa's_Village

Santa's_Village

And I love clowns but this picture is pretty creepy, even for me!

oh god no

Look at that cray bitch hating in the back! This looks like it could have some sort of Lifetime movie plot…The Scandal at Santa’s Village.

Santa's_Village

“Don’t be shy, come inside and throw your keys inside the bowl on the table”

Santa's_Village

There’s that bunny again. Ugh. Look at him sitting on that pole, having a grand ol’ time. What the F is this place?? A place I wish to go…that’s what.

Santa's_Village

I’m so mad we don’t have this kind of amusement park anymore.

Santa's_Village

No comment below.

Santa's_Village

Here’s the commercial I was talking about. This would play on television so often, I had it memorized. It’s been YEARS since I’ve seen this and watching it felt like I went back in time. I still know the words!

Did any of you California kids ever go to Santa’s Village? What was it like? PS. I HATECHU FYI

Edit: I just got my magnifying glass out again and found at least three more creepy things! How bout you? Take out your monocle and look closely at this shit like an issue of Highlights and tell me “what’s wrong!”

Source: alamedainfo

1 Mike Fischer { 12.30.09 at 7:51 am }

I went on what I’m pretty sure was the last year it was in business. My Dad has lots of home video of it. I can’t remember how old I was (somewhere in my teens), but I do know that I felt uncomfortable the whole time. The rides were in disrepair, and the whole place had a super eerie feel to it. Like imagine a Santa trying to convincingly take children’s gift requests when he knows he’s gonna be out of a job real soon. “Now you can visit Santa in the summertime!” -sounds pretty desperate to me…

2 kiana sassypants { 12.30.09 at 9:12 am }

OMG! My mom used to take me there! My grandparents have a cabin near Lake Arrowhead and I’d make them take me when I was really little. It was always in the summer but I didn’t give a fuck. My memories are very vague, I remember reindeer, a really janky kiddie roller coaster and Mrs. Claus’ bakery that had these amazing pink frosted sugar cookies!

We were just talking about this place on Christmas. I’m so sad its closed because you know I would take you there RIGHT NOW!

3 theletterkae { 12.30.09 at 11:04 am }

I totally remember that commercial, but never caught on to the word “religious.” Wonder if Santa would get preachy on you before you were able to sit down and shoot the breeze together?

4 melissa { 12.30.09 at 12:16 pm }

omg! me and my sister went there a couple of times during the summers in the 80′s and it was so fun! i have pics i can show you! i remember my sister getting stung my a bee for the first time and making my grandma buy me a whole bunch of scratch and sniff stickers which i would then later give to the entire kindergarten class which made me popular for, like, the day. lol. ah, i miss that place!

5 bizzy { 12.30.09 at 12:50 pm }

I totally went there! My parents would always wait until it was snowing in the mountains so we could feel like it was the REAL Santa’s place.

I will try to dig up some pictures of me & my cousins there so you can photochop your face into them & experience the creepy vicariously!

6 Carly { 12.30.09 at 2:02 pm }

This is super creepy! That bunny would’ve given me nightmares. There’s a Santa’s Village in cottage country in Ontario. I’ve never been but my gf took her kids and said it was really weird but the kids loved seeing Santa in the summer http://www.santasvillage.ca/

7 sasha lavoo { 12.31.09 at 12:08 pm }

you just made me hit the floor!

8 Annie Dangerpaws { 01.04.10 at 9:57 am }

Deathdog went as a wee pup…and his friend Brian ended up with the map. I’m preeeeetty sure they stole it. There’s a place in Vermont called Santa’s Land, and Santa’s Village in New Hampshire…never been but it’s been calling my name, and clearly New England is calling to YOU!

9 sherc { 01.08.10 at 1:57 pm }

This is amazing! I was just talking about Santa’s Village to my man friend. I sadly never got go. Oh well…this post had me DYING so thanks

10 Poochie { 12.07.11 at 2:32 pm }