Social Networking Site Blue

Why is everything on the internet blue? Is there some sort of design handbook that states all websites of a certain nature must be a specific shade or variation of “Social Networking Site Blue” (SNSB)? Why not pink? Red? Green, even? Is it because blue is supposed to be “calming” and the internet makes us paranoid? the These mind-penetrating thoughts triggered an urge to ask myself…

socialnetworkingsite

facebookdress
(Dress from Fredflare)

Facebook is prim and proper at first glance, then when you get in (especially the first couple of times) it’s crazy and confusing and everything is put on blast. You eventually learn to ignore the 10 million “requests” but for a while you don’t know where to look because there’s just too much going on under there, like a pair of cheesy neon skulls Hot Topic panties. GAH!

flickrdress

Flickr uses SNSB but shakes things up with a ‘lil spot of pink. She is full of surprises and teaches you things about the world (and that there are fetishes for everything) by showing you who favorites your pics. Purple dishwashing glove fetish, anyone?

myspacedress

Myspace was the first real taste of SNSB since no one can remember what Friendster looked like. In the beginning everyone was welcomed with open arms. Then everything got flashy and loud like E! Wild on Ibiza. Visiting people’s profile pages was like entering a club (mute when lurking while you be werkin’.) Still, nothing beats a good ol’ Myspace GIF comment. Facebook gots nothing on that. Put on your LED scrolling belt and bud leaf necklace, take a shot of Patrón and walk on in…

twitdress

WATCH OUT TWITTER. Twitter is the most popular girl in class right now. The whole world revolves around 140. Twitter even looks different on the SNSB front because of her sexy turquoise swagger, but at the same time keeps it cute with a lil’ bird mascot. She even moves fast…. I know who I want to take to prom.

blue dot

Or..wait..does SNSB have something to do with the National Enquirer Lucky Blue Dot??? You were supposed to cut this out of the issue (prob Liz Taylor or Michael Landon on the cover) and rub it for good luck. When I was a kid I actually cut one of these out and put it in my plastic My Melody wallet.

Good ol’ SNSB…you are a TRUE MYSTERY.

1 mary { 06.16.09 at 11:13 pm }

ha ha. That was awesome.

2 Mademoiselle Robot { 06.16.09 at 11:57 pm }

This is the geekiest, most awesomest fashion post EVER. I love you!
I want to sexytimes now. x

3 The Friendinator { 06.17.09 at 12:57 am }

Ha! I’m sooooo tired of having the digital blues! Let’s you and me fuck shit up and turn everything blood-red when the next Twilight installment film comes out! ha!

BTW, Friendster was that shade of orange that makes you want to buy a gun…

4 Kylie { 06.17.09 at 4:53 am }

I rarely crawl out of my feed reader to comment, but this post was pure awesome.

XO.

5 Ashe Mischief { 06.17.09 at 5:09 am }

Oh man, Friendinator, I’m SO glad I’m not the only one who remembers Friendster and the ORANGE OF DOOM.

6 Freya { 06.17.09 at 6:57 am }

wow, this is so innovative! I wonder that too!

7 Tiffany { 06.17.09 at 9:50 am }

Oh, I am TUMBLING this, bb.

8 annie dangerpaws { 06.17.09 at 11:52 am }

funny thing is that friendster isn’t even dead (i had to check) and it’s no longer orange..it’s blue! gaaaw!

9 Rabbit { 06.17.09 at 12:01 pm }

LMFAO
Marie I think you might be the funniest girl on the interwebs, for real.

10 ITS KIMOWRA BETCH { 06.17.09 at 12:53 pm }

OMFG BLUE DOT

11 marie { 06.17.09 at 2:44 pm }

@ Mary – thanks! It was something that I always notice!!

@Mme Robot – hahaha I KNOW!! When I was writing it I was like..OMG THIS IS NERD CITY!!!

@The Friendinator – HAHAHA I don’t know what the best part of your comment is. The fucking shit up? The mention of Twilight? I’M READY

@Kylie – Haha thank you!! I’m glad this made you come out and say hello!

@Ashe – I wonder if I am still in there! YiKES!

@Freya – I’m glad I’m not alone…I mean it IS obvious. I still want to know why!!

@Tiffany – YEAH! THANKS BO!

@annie – HAHAH I CHECKED TOO!! Hilar!!

@Rabbit – aw lady. THANK YOU!!!!

12 WendyB { 06.17.09 at 7:07 pm }

The worst blue is the “blue screen of death” you get when a PC crashes.

13 marie { 06.17.09 at 11:48 pm }

@ WendyB – HAHAHA SERIOUSLY!!! that’s why I am a MAC.

14 Gwen Bell { 06.18.09 at 10:18 am }

So true! I think I would throw some ripped up fishnets, a karaoke mic and some a bad attitude in the mix to stir it up.

Oh, wait. I already do.

Sweet site. I’ll be back. Thanks @magsmac for pointing us this way.

- @gwenbell

15 RabbitLinks | Rabbit Write { 06.20.09 at 10:25 am }

[...] hilarious read by Agent Lover entitled “If I was a social netwotking site what would I wear” In which she asks: “Why is everything on the internet blue? Is there some sort of design [...]

16 mademoiselleglitter { 06.30.09 at 3:23 am }

ha, this is such a cute idea!!

17 Jade iLLeen { 07.03.09 at 9:49 am }

Most original..most creative post I have ever read on any blog.. AWESOME. Loves it lots.

however, I do not have a twitter… yet. ;)

18 Choco { 07.29.09 at 12:39 am }

omfg, this is so very nerdy. too much; making head asplode!

now i’m thinking about outfits for all the sites i visit, which is amazing. love this!!<3

XD

19 Agent Lover: They've given you a number and taken away your name. | Awesome All Day { 08.18.09 at 12:40 pm }

[...] handing out Chola street lessons, calling out social networking sites on their fashion faux pas, and  having real talk with dreamy dudes like Michael Ian Black to answer a bunch of slightly [...]

20 Rabbit Links 6.20.2009 { 04.16.11 at 3:43 pm }

[...] hilarious read by Agent Lover entitled “If I was a social networking site what would I wear” In which she asks: “Why is everything on the internet blue? Is there some sort of design [...]