On The Search For The Perfect Retro Bathing Suit: The Sequel

Last year I was on the search for the perfect vintage style swimsuit and have decided to go on the hunt for you again. Summer will be here in no time (can you believe it’s already mid-April? Kinda makes me SICK). So Ladies, we gotsta be prepared for going to the tropics and sipping pina coladas!! (OPEN IN NEW TAB FOR SOUNDTRACK TO THIS POST) You know that’s what Rie Rie will be doing this weekend in beautiful Palm Springs. Hopefully I will have better luck than last year when I was trying to tan underneath a rain cloud. MUTHA NATURE YOU WHORE.

Since I love Jayne, she’ll be our vintage bathing beauty icon for 2009.

Get into the sexy mind frame of our sweet Jayne and find the right retro suit for you!

+ NICE & NAUGHTY-CAL You can never go wrong with a sailor-style…anything in my opinion! It’s a classic that will never be out of fashion, and in the form of a bathing suit shows proof of this. Available at Unique Vintage. This pretty in pink bathing suit is the best choice for girly girls. Wear this with flower clips and some cha-cha heels! From Pin-Up Girl Clothing.

+ SIMPLE & SEXY Do you want a basic black suit that will make the boy and girls drop their jaws (and maybe their drawers) when you strut by the pool? This Classic Black Marilyn suit from Lolita Girl is perfect for that in my opinion. And is that a butterfly in Bernie’s hair? If so, I LOVE IT.

+ THE GOLD SUIT. This was my choice this year because the love for gold is strong for 2009 in the Haus of Agent Lover. On the left is actually a two-piece that gives the illusion of a full suit from Baby Girl Boutique. On the right is the one that I got, an Esther Williams piece available from My Baby Jo.

+ BIKINI BOMBSHELL If a bikini is what you’re after, but still want that 1950′s silver screen look, you have plenty to choose from! Personally I think a red bikini is the way to go. Red lipstick, red wedges…Va-va-va-VOOM. Get the Beach Blanket Bingo Two Piece from Mod Cloth and  Classic Sheath Two Piece in red from My Baby Jo!

+ THE WINNER! This red and leopard piece is my #1 pick! I love the red ruffles peeking out at the top and the 1940′s design! From Lolita Girl Clothing.

Don’t forget to accessorize with cat-eye sunglasses, cute wedges, cha-cha heels, flower barrettes, sunscreen and a cocktail or five…. And I was kidding about that Sean Kingston song for the soundtrack to this post. SIGH. But here’s the right song to get you in the mood, an old favorite:

The Andrews Sisters – Rum and Coca-Cola

You might also want to peep:

+ On The Search For The Perfect Retro Bathing Suit
+ This Girl Can’t Help It
+ Getaway Girl Style- Pierrot Le Fou

1 Tiffany { 04.16.09 at 11:16 am }

I bought my first one piece last year and looked like fuckin BETTY RUBBLE, no jokes. So I tried again with a white and gold one this year, but omg, the gold ones you posted are seducing the fuck out of my wallet.

2 Mademoiselle Robot { 04.16.09 at 11:18 am }

Gosh I wish you had written this last summer, I was desperately looking for a retro style swimsuit to hide my mummy sins!

I LOVE the nautical one and if that shop ships to the UK I might have to buy it!

SO NICE

x

3 Ashe Mischief { 04.16.09 at 11:18 am }

I need these in super chub girl friendly?! Do any fit the bill??

Also Unique Vintage = BAD! They totally ripped of the design of Trashy Diva WHILE THEY WERE SELLING THEIR MERCH.

4 Celisse { 04.16.09 at 11:19 am }

i looove that black one. I AM TUMBL’IN THIS.

5 ITS KIMORA BETCH { 04.16.09 at 1:11 pm }

You were kidding? KIDDING?! bch plz.

also, 1st pic of jane KILLZ.
thas xacly wut im fittna look like
dis sum sum ‘cept BLACK cuz i am.

6 Robyn { 04.16.09 at 2:04 pm }

LOVE THIS

7 Betsey J { 04.16.09 at 5:55 pm }

I love the red bikini !
and the last leopard piece is so adorableeee. I think I’d want to run around town in it.

There’s an amazing vintage store down here that has some great vintage suits.

8 Freya { 04.17.09 at 4:46 am }

I love the one in sailor style! it’s my fave.

9 holly buddy { 04.17.09 at 1:56 pm }

Beware of Pin Up Girl Clothing. A friend of mine bought this suit last year paid rush shipping and got it after the event she needed it for and after one wear it fell apart and they wouldn’t replace even after admitting they had manufacturing problems

10 Dolly Dahl { 04.17.09 at 2:01 pm }

Don’t forget the gorgeous suits made by Esther Williams! They have so many patterns available and the fit is amazing. I have the Pink Cherry one and LOVE it!

You can check out the entire catalog at http://www.esther-williams.com/

xoxox
Dolly Dahl

11 MagiShaun { 04.20.09 at 5:28 pm }

I concur with Mademoiselle Robot. The Naughty Nautical is zeee best!

12 Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup | Independent Fashion Bloggers { 04.23.09 at 6:50 am }

[...] not the only one ”nesting” my closet for spring and summer.  Thankfully, Agent Lover shows us how to shop for retro swimwear, Super Kawaii Mama shows us some of her [...]

13 | THE COVETED { 04.23.09 at 7:00 am }

[...] in learning I’m not the only one ”nesting” my closet for spring and summer.  Thankfully, Agent Lover shows us how to shop for retro swimwear, Super Kawaii Mama shows us some of her [...]

14 Links a la Mode | Star Fashion Addict { 04.23.09 at 7:16 am }

15 Felicia Sullivan - Author, Foodie, Rockstar » » Blog Archive » Links à la Mode: The IFB Roundup: Wardrobe Transition { 04.23.09 at 7:18 am }

[...] with Rachel Lanese of Crafttastrophe – designer of beautiful shoes and other wearable art. •Agent Lover: Hunting for the perfect retro bathing suit, part two. •Breakfast at Saks: A review of [...]

16 Agent Lover » Links á la Mode : The IFB Roundup { 04.23.09 at 11:31 am }

[...] On The Search For The Perfect Retro Bathing Suit: The Sequel [...]

17 Style Symmetry » Links à la Mode: IFB Weekly Roundup { 04.23.09 at 7:04 pm }

[...] Agent Lover: Hunting for the perfect retro bathing suit, part two. [...]

18 Eyeliah { 04.23.09 at 7:27 pm }

You are helping convince me to go back for that pin up bikini I’ve been hemming and hawing about! Perhaps this weekend I will go try it again….

19 Independent Fashion Bloggers: Links a la Mode! | Fashion Pulse Daily { 04.23.09 at 7:33 pm }

[...] Agent Lover: Hunting for the perfect retro bathing suit, part two. [...]

20 Links à la Mode : April 23rd | Cephalic Carnage - Portfolio Fashion Tips { 04.23.09 at 10:12 pm }

[...] in learning I’m not the only one ”nesting” my closet for spring and summer. Thankfully, Agent Lover shows us how to shop for retro swimwear, Super Kawaii Mama shows us some of her favorite [...]

21 Super Kawaii Mama » Blog Archive » Dear Weekend { 04.23.09 at 11:18 pm }

[...] Agent Lover: Hunting for the perfect retro bathing suit, part two. [...]

22 ElDulceAmorCouture { 04.24.09 at 10:58 am }

speaking of retro vintage inspired bathing suits here are a few i just made for my etsy!!!

23 ElDulceAmorCouture { 04.24.09 at 10:59 am }

dont forget to check out my vintage inspired pieces at http://www.ElDulceAmorCouture.etsy.com

24 Alle Malice { 04.24.09 at 12:11 pm }

I’m not usually a nautical lady, but that sailor suit is so effing cute, I cannot even stand it.

25 Cafe Fashionista { 04.24.09 at 6:02 pm }

I kind of like the pink one; but that first gold number is adorable. It has such high-shine. I really want a retro swimsuit now!

26 IFB Links à la Mode! | Broke & Beautiful { 04.25.09 at 2:36 pm }

[...] in learning I’m not the only one ”nesting” my closet for spring and summer. Thankfully, Agent Lover shows us how to shop for retro swimwear, Super Kawaii Mama shares some of her favorite pick-me-ups [...]

27 Mickay { 04.26.09 at 9:59 pm }

i love the high waisted 2 pieces!!

28 Mallory { 04.27.09 at 10:12 am }

I just did an interview with Pamela Levenson, the designer of Popina Swimwear the other day on my blog. She’s based in Portland, Oregon and designs some fantastic retro styles (both one-pieces and bikinis).

She doesn’t have any prints quite as bold as that leopard (which is killer!), but there are lots of really great retro inspired basic styles, and if you’re in Portland she even does custom fitted suits at her boutique.

29 Links à la Mode: The IFB Roundup | 4.23.09 « STYLEMOM { 04.27.09 at 10:35 am }

[...] in learning I’m not the only one ”nesting” my closet for spring and summer.  Thankfully, Agent Lover shows us how to shop for retro swimwear, Super Kawaii Mama shares some of her [...]

30 Links à la Mode: The IFB Roundup | Independent Fashion Bloggers { 05.04.09 at 10:13 am }

[...] not the only one ”nesting” my closet for spring and summer.  Thankfully, Agent Lover shows us how to shop for retro swimwear, Super Kawaii Mama shares some of her [...]

31 nikki { 08.22.09 at 7:56 pm }
32 Dani { 02.11.10 at 11:19 pm }

Hey! If you are looking for another swimsuit this summer, my mum designs these ones and they AMAZING! They fit beautifully and last forever. Thanks!

33 Danielle { 01.29.11 at 5:37 pm }

Very very cute. Is it just me or is retro starting to make a huge comback! Down here I am starting to see younger hip girls wearing them more and more. I also saw a bunch of cute suits over at RetroSwimwear.com. Never seen any of them anywhere else

34 Josiah Swor { 07.21.11 at 12:05 pm }

Thanks so much! I’m finding out that more and more people secretly have a love for the vintage! What a treat.

35 nikki { 08.17.11 at 2:56 pm }

Hi there!!

be sure to check out my site and news about the new collection on my retro styled swimwear!! thanks

36 Meg { 09.21.11 at 11:01 pm }